Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Maintaining framerate in 20 year fort  (Read 9127 times)

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maintaining framerate in 20 year fort
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2018, 10:16:49 am »

So if I understand everyone correctly for starting a fortress that does not die performance death I should:

Embark 1x1
    Small+young world
    Limit Caverns
    No trees
    Don't build stairs
    pop below 50
    no sieges
    don't produce rotting clothes
    destroy all excess items
    don't mess with water
    don't dig out much
    no animals

Forgot anything? Maybe I try playing this game again maybe it can still be fun with the outside raids and such but those above measures drastically reduce the fun in a fortress.

Just my thoughts on this:
First. Learn to love traffic zones. Set your main hallways and stairs to 'high' traffic priority. It's my understanding that the game will attempt to path through 'high' priotries. You can also set medium (default) and low priorities as well as restricted. Dwarves will never path through restricted zones unless they need to, even if it takes them to the other side of the map.

I find 1x1 embarks rather fun, I enjoy forts that span z-levels. I can usually fit a fort for 80 dwarves on 5 levels, and have everything they need including temples and taverns.

I enjoy young world's,  more nasty beasts to fight.

I never limit caverns and I don't usually have fps issues.

I embark on deserts or tundras usually, and I import all my wood. Easier than designating trees to be cut.

I think 60 dwarves is a good number. Gives me 20 military dwarves, nobles, and more workers than I know what to do with.

Rest is pretty accurate I suppose, but I enjoy sieges. Instead of atomsmashing (too much micro management) I like to set up a few minecarts that get filled with my junk using stockpiles and such, and I push them down into the magma sea
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Dragonborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2018, 10:44:59 am »

I know what you are talking about but it was not that. It also affected regular things just lying on the ground somewhere. So like a Mason Workshop could not access a regular boulder that was lying on the ground a few levels below and top which dwarfs could easily travel. When I selected the Mason menu from which materials I want to make items then only items closeby were available.
I guess if that happens to me again I make a thread about it. At that time I spent over 10 hours to figure out what was wrong and tried to fix it. Redid workshop, redid stockpiles and staircases and many other measueres/experiments but could not figure it out it basically destroyed my whole fortress because it was not correctly working anymore maybe this was connected to my FPS issue?

Yeah definitely do make a thread if it happens again.  I'm sure someone here can figure it out.

Since you mentioned it was a mason workshop, maybe you were attempting to use economic stone without enabling it first on the stone menu? 

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Economic_stone

You could reproduce the behavior you described if the distant, unavailable stone to the workshop was limestone and all the close stone that you mentioned was visible was something more mundane like chert.  The limestone would be invisible to the mason shop until you enabled it on the stone menu.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:49:32 am by Dragonborn »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2018, 05:22:14 pm »

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Get rid of all pet-locked doors.

Make all your hallways with any traffic at least 2 tiles wide. Dwarves meeting in a single-tile-wide hallway will repath to avoid sharing a tile, potentially flood-filling the entirety of the map to find an alternate route. Even worse, repathing uses jump/climb pathing, which is more expensive than regular pathing.

I've had some success using a single spiral ramp through my fortress. Ramps seem easier on FPS than staircases.

Short of rather ridiculous bugs, I don't see how stairs could have much impact at all.

Dwarves will never path through restricted zones unless they need to, even if it takes them to the other side of the map.

Nope. "Restricted" tiles have a pathing cost of 25, meaning dwarves will only detour up to 12 normal-traffic tiles (or 25 high-traffic tiles) by default. (You can modify these values, however.)

In general, setting traffic costs can be helpful, but only if you know what you are doing. It doesn't matter what traffic costs you set if your dwarves are constantly running into each other in one-tile-wide hallways--they will flood-fill the entirety of the map looking for an alternate route, regardless of your traffic costs.

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2018, 06:33:02 pm »

You were probably using a pet-forbidden door, which causes pathing spam.

awesome. ty!
don't cook what you can brew

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2018, 11:42:22 pm »

Dwarves will never path through restricted zones unless they need to, even if it takes them to the other side of the map.

Nope. "Restricted" tiles have a pathing cost of 25, meaning dwarves will only detour up to 12 normal-traffic tiles (or 25 high-traffic tiles) by default. (You can modify these values, however.)

In general, setting traffic costs can be helpful, but only if you know what you are doing. It doesn't matter what traffic costs you set if your dwarves are constantly running into each other in one-tile-wide hallways--they will flood-fill the entirety of the map looking for an alternate route, regardless of your traffic costs.

Thanks for the correction. :) apparently (according to the wiki) you can something like 10% fps from traffic designation, if some properly. On my fort I had a slight fps increase, but my fort is still young and runs great (80 calculation fps still and 50 graphical)
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]