Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tavern keeper overfeeds  (Read 2120 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tavern keeper overfeeds
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:09:56 pm »

Tavern keeper, singers, and dancers, tend to overfeed the tavern-goers. They repeatedly Serve Dwarven Wine! as soon as they have the time.

This wastes booze and kills dwarves. I hope that the tavern crew are less over-zealous.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern keeper overfeeds
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 11:16:22 pm »

I decide to let all performers be temple performers. It would be healthy spiritually and physically.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:24:05 pm »

Tavern keeper, singers, and dancers, tend to overfeed the tavern-goers. They repeatedly Serve Dwarven Wine! as soon as they have the time.

That's terrific news! Your dwarves must be so happy.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 12:48:02 am »

They are "shaken from major injuries"...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:40:04 am »

If you don't like that, don't employ poisoners... (I don't). Otherwise, I've seen the suggestion to have very few of them, and that it might help to have ones who are lazy and dislikes to help people.

In my view, it's a bug that tavern performers poison customers, but on the other hand, it's also questionable that tavern performers seem to perform no more than patrons do.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:33:01 am »

I move all performers to temple. It turns out well. They still perform in the tavern, but don't serve wine anymore.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 06:41:44 pm »

They do that. Bar staff in DF work the opposite way they do in reality; they will literally serve people enough drink to kill themselves with.
Or take disagreement in a debate and murder someone with their mug.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 07:23:44 pm »

They do that. Bar staff in DF work the opposite way they do in reality; they will literally serve people enough drink to kill themselves with.
It's a side effect of having no economy.
When that hits, visitors will be sold in slavery long before they drink themselves to death thanks to the valiant efforts of tavern keepers.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 12:55:52 am »

If you think about it, with booze being free, I'm not entirely sure that there is anything wrong with the modelling.  How many alcohol related deaths would there be if one could go to a tavern and the tavern keeper would just keep giving you more and more alcohol?  When I was in the UK I often saw guys buying 2 pints of beer at once because it was too inefficient to keep getting up and buying more :-P.

I'll just reiterate my normal mantra, though.  In my experience, alcohol poisonings are rare if you keep your tavern keeper busy doing other things.  Serving drinks are normally pretty low priority.  I usually make my tavern keeper the lone grower in fortress and death rates are extremely low.  The other thing you can do is put the alcohol very far away from the tavern.  This forces the tavern keeper to walk a long way between drinks.   I agree with not having performers assigned to the tavern, though.  I really think they should not be able to serve drinks.  Of course I totally understand if you don't want to have any alcohol poisonings in your fortress.  I like to live on the wild side ;-)

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 04:50:51 pm »

they will literally serve people enough drink to kill themselves with.

There were strict state laws forbidding this behavior when I was a bartender.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 05:00:45 pm »

In France murder is equally forbidden :( lawmakers are not sold on the idea of fun.
Also if you bash someone's heads in with a mug, does that makes you a...

...mugderer?

YEEEEEAH

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 08:46:38 pm »

If economy were back someday, it could start from alcohol. And definitely use e-currency.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 01:10:28 am »

I hereby announce the DCO (Dwarf Coin Offering).  Instead of using plain old *ordinary* blockchain technology, in our revolutionary new method, you mine coins by calculating paths in Dwarf Fortress.  As your fellow players send you coins for paths, you too can reap the profits!  Send your money now!

(err... don't... I don't want to get in trouble with the humour impaired SEC).

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 04:16:34 am »

That's genius idea!