Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends Battles vs. Actual Battles  (Read 1001 times)

Ethan741

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legends Battles vs. Actual Battles
« on: April 01, 2018, 11:58:51 pm »

In short, I created a hellscape.

The world was held in limbo by a forest titan made entirely out of coral. Naturally, one of my first goals was to go kick its ass. Once that was out of the way, I noticed something peculiar. The world shifted into the Goblin Age -- which was total bullshit by the way.

Turns out, that titan killed a metric arseton of dwarves, yeah, but it also kept killing a bunch of goblins. With the titan gone, the goblins ran wild. They attacked everything.

I noticed something peculiar whenever they start raiding shit. It seems like the game is weighting everything in their favor. In Legends, a handful of goblins wrapped in tinfoil armor can wipe out a city of sixty with no sweat. I tested this further, and found that if I left a fortress filled to the brim with trained soldiers to its own devices, goblins would come and kill everybody like its no biggie in Legends.

So here are my questions:

Why does it seem like skills and equipment don't matter in worldgen/legends battles?
Is there a way to go in and manually stop the goblin menace? I tried making adventurers and used 'em to kill their king thrice over, but it doesn't seem to do much.
I checked their main Dark Fortress, and it has over 5000 trolls. I didn't see that many trolls when I visited and beat their king to death with my fists. Are their really 5000 trolls or is the game messing with me?

I'm using 0.43.04, by the way. It's outdated and buggy like you wouldn't believe, but I can't this rest and update to the newest version until I make this right.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Battles vs. Actual Battles
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 01:46:37 am »

Equipment is a new feature added to worldgen battles in 44.01. With raids, battles outside the fortress need to be a bit more acceptable (has bugs, issues, etc, etc).

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 05:34:32 am »

Be a vampire and get integrated. Drain all the goblin blood one dark pit a time.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 06:18:16 am »

By the way, what sort of numbers are attacking your retired fortresses? Doesn't really matter if you have a steel clad death squad guarding the place. 600 goblins and their pets (a few hundred trolls, several hundred beakdogs for example) will mess them up as soon as they get tired.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 09:49:41 am »

To answer your other question, Trolls tend to live in the underground of the goblin pits. They usually have big cave-like rooms that i suppose are intended as pastures for them.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Ethan741

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:16:46 am »

So I ran another simulation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They sent a little more guys than they did last time, but my point remains the same. You're telling me that a fort of 165 strong that's all kitted out with walls, traps, and two squads of legendary soldiers is going to get wiped of the face of the planet by a somewhat smaller invading force, and only manage to kill five of them?

Something's fucky.

On a side note, those adventurer raids I've been doing have been somewhat successful, because the entire invading force was made up of dwarves -- traitorous bastards.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:20:27 am »

PTW
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 04:31:26 am »

Remember worldgen battles are an abstract of ver 1.0 DF. They broke down the drawbridge, sent their trolls through the caves to surprise the dorfs with a rear assault and then some sappers tunneled under the tavern and blew it up. Resulting fire killed most everyone else. A couple of kids holed up in their rooms survived, but were starving so ate each other.

Or maybe your dwarves were just stupid, sallied forth, and were ripped to shreds by an ambush of crossbow goblins.

Loads of reasons a slightly smaller force could outwit a bunch of dumb dwarves. Especially if you're still playing 43.04 before equipment and tactics became a thing.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:33:43 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 05:22:59 am »

And walls and traps have no effect on any battles other than player controlled fortress ones.