Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scale of Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1642 times)

FengL0ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scale of Dwarf Fortress
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:38:24 am »

Hey there Folks!
I was wondering what the scale of a tile in dwarf fortress really is.
Because of the nature of how displaying tiles work in this game it
looks like the dwarfs in a one-tile room are actually jumping over
table, chair and bed when walking through it. My immediate sub-
tle impression was that the tiles are 1mx1m.
Of course that can't be true, sine a whole human bed fits into one
Tile. They also have to be high enough, that a standart human-
sized creature can stand in it plus an additional floor layer.
So i am delighted to think, that a tile is 2mx2mx3m in size.
(For the height 2m creature + 0,5m head room + 0,5m floor)
Sadly Dragons don't count yet since they fit in a single tile. Well,
actually they could fit in a 10m3 space if they narrow
their profile a bit.
The 2mx2m floor space would also make a single tile wide room
cramped, but walkable without the need to jump over objects.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this defined somewhere in the
raws? On this note: I'm sure multi-tile creates have been proposed
for ages. Is this noted somewhere on the roadmap by toady?
Thank you for your time
-Feng

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scale of Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 08:32:36 am »

Hey there Folks!
I was wondering what the scale of a tile in dwarf fortress really is.
Because of the nature of how displaying tiles work in this game it
looks like the dwarfs in a one-tile room are actually jumping over
table, chair and bed when walking through it. My immediate sub-
tle impression was that the tiles are 1mx1m.
Of course that can't be true, sine a whole human bed fits into one
Tile. They also have to be high enough, that a standart human-
sized creature can stand in it plus an additional floor layer.
So i am delighted to think, that a tile is 2mx2mx3m in size.
(For the height 2m creature + 0,5m head room + 0,5m floor)
Sadly Dragons don't count yet since they fit in a single tile. Well,
actually they could fit in a 10m3 space if they narrow
their profile a bit.
The 2mx2m floor space would also make a single tile wide room
cramped, but walkable without the need to jump over objects.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this defined somewhere in the
raws? On this note: I'm sure multi-tile creates have been proposed
for ages. Is this noted somewhere on the roadmap by toady?
Thank you for your time
-Feng

IIRC, tiles are either 2x2x2 or 1x1x2. I'm sure someone else remembers which.

I don't believe it's defined in the raws, but I'm fairly certain Toady has stated the size of tiles at some point.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:39:38 am »

As far as I know the X/Y dimensions are 2*2 meters. I'm unsure if the height is 2 or 3 meters. As with a lot of things, tiles are abstracted so a dragon takes up no more than a single tile (and a cage fitting into one tile can contain an unlimited number of dragons...). Toady has done some thinking on multi tile creatures (and the wagons are actually multi tile creatures which Toady are rather unhappy with), but it will be quite some time before that will happen (probably a fair while after multi tile machinery, such as boats), but boats (and revamped wagons) will at least settle the movement logic, but there are remaining issues such as what body parts you can reach when fighting one, for instance.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:11:30 am »

Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

FengL0ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 12:46:49 pm »

So the original source is http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140544.msg6700479#msg6700479
Question #34 by FantasticDorf about elephants qualitfying as multi-tile
Regular elephants would qualify as multi-tile if we are particular about it.  It depends on how much we want to fudge the "2m x 2m x 3m" tile guesstimate we float around.  An elephant trunk itself could get a little - if we are weird.  ()E-   It starts to look bad.
The test dragons had separate limbs and a neck with a 157-yen head and a slinky tail, and you wouldn't be able to hit any part you aren't next to.  I'm not sure about all of it though.  It's harder to make random and mod creatures look good, and the tileset issue is also large and multi-troubling... though I don't want to go with a block/blob approach either.  The counter-pressure is that trees and other future features are going to make one-tile giant creatures sillier and sillier, until they become too silly.  Tall creatures are harder since you can only see a slice of them, so they always look bad, but the idea is that you'd be able to jump on them and the dragons and be on a specific body part, if we are lucky enough to make it work at all.

Thanks anewaname!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 01:36:00 pm »

So the original source is http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140544.msg6700479#msg6700479
... The test dragons had separate limbs and a neck with a 157-yen head and a slinky tail, and you wouldn't be able to hit any part you aren't next to....
Read through that post and found "Tall creatures are harder since you can only see a slice of them, so they always look bad, but the idea is that you'd be able to jump on them and the dragons and be on a specific body part,..." So, a dragon arrives and you give the order to raise the gate. The unfortunate Urist is still outside but dodges the dragon's attack by jumping up and onto it. Dwarfs cheer from the fortifications and call him the Dragonrider! A couple of months later, Urist dies of dehydration.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

HotDiggityDog

• Bay Watcher
  • *hiccup*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 01:55:39 pm »

Anytime a creature should be multiple-tile because of their massive size, I just pretend that they're tall enough that even though they should take up multiple tiles, you more or less just shadow under their body in the empty space between the gaps.
You can't excuse it as roleplaying when it's not a thing that your character would indeed do.
Desire to genocide elves does not live anywhere in the game's files and code. It's just here. You made it. What should I therefore think of you?

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:05:12 pm »

2x2x3m might be the official answer, but never forget that you can fit all the dragons you could ever want into a single tile as long as they're either caged or all but one of them is lying down. A single tile room is a veritable palace, by that measure.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 08:11:41 pm »

Made this on the spot, don't judge. Post it art is hastiest art.

Spoiler: arglbgrlrgl (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 12:45:59 am »

"Urist, if that dragon is twenty meters long, how come he fits in this two-by-two cage we built out of almond wood?"

"Oh, well see, he looks smaller 'cause he's so far away."

"But... but... that doesn't make any sense."

"Look, Tobol, I'd love to continue this conversation but I've gotta go make three hundred amulets, mkay?"
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.