Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Wait, are you seriously telling me.....  (Read 13728 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, are you seriously telling me.....
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2018, 02:31:36 pm »

Actually, this makes me wonder. Has anyone ever made forts specifically designed for !!SCIENTIFIC TESTING!!? If not, I think we should certainly make a start. To have forts designed for specific testing purposes would make the wiki editor's lives so much easier, as anyone could just jump in and test things out without having to wait for a mature, 100 dwarf fort.

The thought came to my head when I realized I really wanted to test out raiding and provide results, but didn't want to have to carefully micromanage my fort up to being large enough to stage consistent attacks. I have no problem with just using DFhack to cheat my way up the ladder for testing, but how many players who would like to test things out and provide useful information would prefer a ready set up fort for experiments?

this is a great idea!

Wonder if it could be taken one step further.  Someone sets up a stable fortress, then a succession game begins.  Each overseer sets out with a specific experiment they are undergoing and conduct as much of the experiment as they can within their time in control with each post being a report on the progress of the experiment in question, maybe with an addendum or two on notable events during the turn and future possible experiments.  Should result in a hilarious degree of clusterfuckery, especially if all currently known tricks (ex. perpetual motion screw pump-waterwheels) have to be discovered by the dwarves of the fort before they can be used.

Edit: Ninja'd by bloop_bleep stating the same idea, though without the potential stipulations I put in.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2018, 09:00:38 pm »

The argument is dead. Please stop trying to revive it so we can get back to practicing !!SCIENCE!! via raids. We all know what happens to unwanted necromancers.

"Yay, people are actually talking on one of my threads for once."

......"What the hell?"

Let's focus on raiding !!science!!, please.

I haven't done much science myself, but I'm working up a basic fort to work on it. Or rather play around with it. I'm nowhere near as good as a lot of other dwarf fortress players.

But one thing I would recommend:

Having multiple elven civilizations.

Right now in the world I'm dinking around in, I've got some elves that are trading with me, and some elves a bit further off that I'm planning on raiding. Best of both worlds.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2018, 12:26:09 pm »

I built my most recent fort for creature science! It featured a super-secure holding facility for anything that might wander onto the map. Results included data on megabeast insanity and a forgotten beast husk.

It's actually a lot of fun. Looking forward to doing it with the new raiding and everything. Also, can you bring back captives? Like, prisoners of war from razing a site?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2018, 02:15:48 pm »

I'm about to get a science fort running. Just waiting for enough weapons to outfit 2 squads to test against one another (training on-site vs Dwarven field trips). 
There's also some minecart poison science and magma-crab catching going on.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]