Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with a Bloodborne style fortress.  (Read 771 times)

Angel_Unchained

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
Help with a Bloodborne style fortress.
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:25:23 pm »

"In the year 50, the dwarven fortress known as "Yarnham" was founded by the order of dwarves known as "The Healing Church"
"In the year 65, the dwarven fortress known as "Cainhurt" was founded by the order of dwarves known as "The Vile Blood"

Hello, I am new to this forum and am a dabbling DF player myself. I've been playing Bloodborne lately, and often the influence I get from playing different games leaks into my fortresses. It may be a little ambitious for an amateur like myself to set up so I was looking for help, if only to see other peoples interesting ideas. Here's the scenario I had in mind: Take a mature fortress with a large population, with a city built around a castle. Then, infect a large portion of the population with werebeastism. Infect a portion of the most important dwarves with vampirism (to protect them from the werebeast curse) and wall them in the castle. On the night of a full moon, send out leather-clad vampire badasses to clean up the streets. Sounds pretty dope on paper, but there are some difficulties that arise. How to infect people in a controlled manner? How to prevent vampires from overkilling all the beasts? And for that manner, is it possible to replenish the beast number with migrants easily or will everyone just be brutally murdered? I don't really want to micromanage infection and instead let the beasts roam chaotically. I've heard conflicting info about whether or not werebeasts of the same strain attack each other. Also I want those aesthetic tombstones around like BB so I may have to remove building destroyer from werecreatures. As for the Vile Bloods- will vampires feed on other vampires? (I doubt it.) Will vamps report a fellow bloodsucker for feeding, or try to frame a murder on them?

In my mind, the situation would play out thusly: A group of dwarves carve out a grand, gray stone city deep underground. It is a fantastical place, and the dwarves are dapper and gentlemanly. Things seem to be going well, until an outbreak of werebeast infection strikes. It seems small and contained at first, but after many moons people must board up their windows and lock their doors to avoid getting eaten or worse- infected. With no hope of containment left, the nobility turns to a new leader: an enigmatic silver-tonged devil who reveals that those who partake in her rotted blood will be safe from werebeast infection, albeit at the cost of a new curse. With no other options, the nobles and a select handful of the most useful uninfected dwarves wall themselves off in Canehurt castle and partake in unholy communion. With their newfound strength, a group of hardened hunters leave the safety of the castle on the night of a full moon to thin the herd of beasts.

The townsfolk flood to the large church hospital between attacks for treatment. The lavish furnishings and statues are hoarded into the castle for "safe keeping." All according to the plan of the vampire countess, lining her tomb with treasure, and corrupting her subjects into committing horrific atrocities, like feeding on the blood of children and wounded to keep themselves spry. The bodies are dumped into the catacombs beneath the castle, and with paired with the growing resentment of the townsfolk, the whole place may soon run out of room for tombstones...

Well, those are my ideas. Let me know what you think! Mostly I just would want to know if something like this is even possible, or better yet if someone's beat me to the punch and pulled it off!  :D

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Bloodborne style fortress.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 04:43:41 pm »

So, I'm mostly posting to watch this, but I like the sound of this whole thing. One thing I've heard is that in adventure mode if you (g)ive someone a mug, they will drink whatever its contents are immediately (as long as they don't have a backpack or bag in their inventory). So if you topple a statue (save beforehand so that you get the right curse), bleed into a few mugs, visit your fortress, climb/sneak into the walled off section (or fly, if you happen to be a flying animal person), give all the potential vampires said mugs and watch them drink your blood. As for the werebeast bit, I'm really entirely unsure how you'd get that part done.

For that matter, perhaps you could use a different adventurer to curse the other population of the fort. Wait till they transform (and you might could savescum to get a particular type of werebeast, perhaps), and nibble on the toes of all the villagers. They shouldn't outright die from such wounds, but they'd presumably become infected. If you did it all in one binge attack, then you wouldn't have to worry about them killing each other during the next full moon.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 04:51:41 pm »

Ptw.

As an extra goal, don't forget that different werebeast types are hostile to each other, iirc.
One wheel short of a wagon

Angel_Unchained

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:00:31 pm »

I figured I would find a natural vampire or retire a socialite vamp adventurer then use controlled spike traps to infect a certain well. As for using a were-adventurer to infect the villagers, idk if they would let me bite everyone so easily, maybe if I had crazy stealth? Adv mode is one of my weak points. Still curious about vampire tattle-tales, I guess if I had no captain of the guard no justice would be carried out anyway?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:18:38 am »

So, I'm mostly posting to watch this, but I like the sound of this whole thing. One thing I've heard is that in adventure mode if you (g)ive someone a mug, they will drink whatever its contents are immediately (as long as they don't have a backpack or bag in their inventory). So if you topple a statue (save beforehand so that you get the right curse), bleed into a few mugs, visit your fortress, climb/sneak into the walled off section (or fly, if you happen to be a flying animal person), give all the potential vampires said mugs and watch them drink your blood. As for the werebeast bit, I'm really entirely unsure how you'd get that part done.
Is it still possible to do this? I remember someone saying that it's no longer possible to give people full mugs in 44. Was it false alarm? (Tested. False alarm, it seems)
Vampires most certainly will not feed on each other.
Main thing with infecting everyone with adventurer werebeast - do NOT rest or fast travel(or leave and come back, i guess) in the fort before you infected everyone and/or days of full moon has passed, because if you do, everyone you infected will turn into werebeasts(at least that's how that worked for me in v43 when i tried to infect people in human town). Fortress dwarves don't have knives, so, if you didn't made truly horrifying military beforehand(or very cramped environment), wounds shouldn't be an issue.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:13:37 pm by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.