Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Layers no longer visible upon embark?  (Read 537 times)

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Layers no longer visible upon embark?
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:18:40 am »

I have played dwarf fortress a long time ago and I seem to remember that I could see layers of the location on the embark screen (like sedimentary layer, etc).

I've recently came back to df and now I see that you can't see them anymore? I have only noticed it after my first embark ended up with all layers being igneous intrusive or metamorphic ( = no iron ever ).

So I guess my real question is: how do you, without utilites/tools, pick an embark location in 0.44.07 to ensure that you'll be able to have iron?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Layers no longer visible upon embark?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:55:32 am »

You can't. You'd have to use utilities or luck, and there's a significant scarcity of tools that work with 0.44.07 until DFHack is updated...

Edit:
Well, I guess you can copy the save, embark, speed dig, and then discard the game to embark properly once you've found what you were looking for.

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:21:35 am »

Well, this is annoying  :( I hope the layers view will be brought back. Not a fan of the savescum & speeddig solution.

EDIT: this wouldn't be such HUGE a problem if you could tell caravan "bring me 1000-10000 bars of iron please" but as you can't do that either, this is a real problem I think.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:23:17 am by alpha »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:54:53 am »

The DFHack plugin embark-assistant provides you with search functions for metals etc., but DFHack hasn't been updated yet (and the release is several hours old!) and you didn't want tools...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169634.0

Also, you can just rob visitors, up the metal abundance, use goblinite,...

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 01:24:56 pm »

I use a tip on wiki for finding a location with sedimentary layer:
Quote from: Wiki
To find the ores of iron, search for a location that has shallow metals, flux stone, medium elevation, and either high or low drainage.
(http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Sedimentary_layer)

I used the search function, paid attention to and made sure that all these requirements are met in a single biome and I've found an embark with Limonite on first try.

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 05:13:36 pm »

I use a tip on wiki for finding a location with sedimentary layer:
Quote from: Wiki
To find the ores of iron, search for a location that has shallow metals, flux stone, medium elevation, and either high or low drainage.
(http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Sedimentary_layer)

I used the search function, paid attention to and made sure that all these requirements are met in a single biome and I've found an embark with Limonite on first try.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try this!