Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: i got some new vermin ideas for dwarf fortress.  (Read 1057 times)

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile
i got some new vermin ideas for dwarf fortress.
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:46:03 am »

Bullfrog: a large amphibian found in murky pools, rivers, and brooks. Dwarves like it for its call.
Cockatoo: a large intelligent parrot that mimics dwarves. Dwarves like it for its random screaming.
Lemming: a small rodent found in cold biomes. Dwarves like it for its soft coat.
Suriname toad: a odd toad with a really flat body and holes in its back where its young come from, (im not joking about this, they actually give birth through their back, look it up.) Dwarves like it for its flat appearance.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: i got some new vermin ideas for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:23:44 pm »

I think it's fair to assume that Toady already knows what a bullfrog, a lemming and a cockatoo are. Not sure why you think he needs informing here?

At least suggest why you think the time should be taken to add more vermin types, or alternative mechanics involving them, or anything other than a Google-list of your vermin/fantasy creature wishlist. It'd take literally 30 seconds to add these to the game yourself.

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:14:31 am »

I think it's fair to assume that Toady already knows what a bullfrog, a lemming and a cockatoo are. Not sure why you think he needs informing here?

At least suggest why you think the time should be taken to add more vermin types, or alternative mechanics involving them, or anything other than a Google-list of your vermin/fantasy creature wishlist. It'd take literally 30 seconds to add these to the game yourself.
the thing is,
im really nervous about modding things in.
im afraid of breaking things.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:20:49 am »

the thing is,

Make backups and use the wiki. That's it. Toady won't implement something because someone is afraid of making things themselves.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 05:49:59 pm »

It's about as easy as writing your opening post was. I'm sure if you post the exact same request in the modding forum (after looking through the wiki) someone will talk you through it.

Dwarf Fortress was created to be extremely customizable so people can adjust whatever they like to suit their own playstyle. You can add in your favorite vermin or increase goblin aggressiveness or whatever with zero programming knowledge. It's all plain text files, exactly the same as setting the main game options.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 09:59:11 pm »

Aye, a lot of the modders would be happy to help. I often add little things like that, like the evil Glumprong trees now grow Glum Plum fruit, which people like for their glum faced fruits.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 08:45:39 am »

Huh. I always read it as Glump-wrong. Only now do I see it as glum-prong. Thank you for opening my eyes, SS. Also, Op, Toady tries to stay away from naming things after real-world place names where possible. So the Suriname toad would probably not be called a Suriname toad if included. It would be called the backward-birthing-toad maybe (I didn't look it up, took your word for it).

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 09:02:06 am »

the thing is,

You mostly just find a creature that is essentially identical to the creature you are adding and then change it's name.   ;)