Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rampaging visitor army causing a slaughterhouse  (Read 814 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rampaging visitor army causing a slaughterhouse
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:28:57 am »

I received a notification that 127 visitors arrived at once (visitor cap = 40, and more or less full). They were all warriors (after the notification, but before all of them had entered I also got a normal visitor, i.e. performer or scholar). 9 of the invaders had previously been nicknamed by me as being after an artifact, and sure enough: a couple of reports revealing that artifact, followed by a demand for it (and I'm not giving it up, since the first questers started with murdering a citizen rather than requesting it). Shortly after the demand they started to leave, and soon after that one of the invaders was caught sneaking back in and attacked. I send a squad to deal with him, and after that found an unrelated injured citizen. Further investigation shows there's fighting going on all over the place, with invaders slaughtering animals and dead bodies littering the place. To complicate the matter, a very small number of the fighting invaders are possible to identify by their "enraged by all enemies" indicators, and a lot of them are running around in terror, but a number of them are fighting, but all, except the initial sneaker, are marked as visitors, so it's almost impossible to find the ones I have to fight back against in the horde of panickers.
It's a reversal of the reclaim situation where harmless residents are marked as hostile, with hostile ones all over the inside of the fortress marked as ordinary visitors.

I know at least some of the above has been fixed in the next release, but it's extremely messy. I've previously encountered citizens running around in terror from a visitor who in its turn was running around in terror when a returning sneaking quester attacked and put the bugger down, but this time they're not only causing cancellation, but are actually fighting, without me being able to find where the fires are.

wags

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rampaging visitor army causing a slaughterhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 10:03:28 am »

What race were they?bn
Have a nice day!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rampaging visitor army causing a slaughterhouse
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 11:01:50 am »

They were questers for a goblin who, I think, belong to a human civ. The questers themselves were a mixed bunch of humans, goblins, and elves (there aren't many dorfs in the world), and I don't think I've seen any dorf visitors (not counting the necro and some of his undead minions).

The end(?) result is 4 dead citizens (one kid, one elven mayor, and elven woodcutter, and on founding dwarf [and one of the 3 mothers in the fortress, but the next generation is coming along]), a number of animals, and 70(?) or so infiltrators, with 8 locked up and remaining to be dealt with. A working strategy seems to be to attack those raging (at least possible to spot) and then those who are not panicking (with a preference for those fighting, but there's no way to see those really). A lot of injuries, of course, so we'll see if there are more casualties. Down to 46 citizens.

I had to mop up 4 infiltrators I'd locked into my corpse disposal facilities, as I need somewhere to dispose of all those corpses (and parts thereof).

I'm going to replay this (I saved just a few days before the mess broke out) so I at least react immediately, rather than days later (e.g. sending the training squads out to live action rather than barracks training), as well as making more use of the paltry containment measures I have.

Edit:
I managed to wrangle around until DF didn't crash (I've written a bug report) and ended up with not getting into a fight at all (the skulker fled). However, half a year later or so, a 120 strong army of warriors was announced. Since I didn't want a repeat, I closed off all entrances, with the intention to let the buggers get themselves killed by the next goblin siege. However, they stopped pouring in instead, so only 30 or so entered the map. When I opened up in spring (to allow for an elven caravan) they didn't continue to pour in, but new "real" visitors were announced.
After having stripped the second latest goblin siege of their items, I still hadn't gotten everything, and my citizens started to go to the map edge to take invisible things, as if I'd stripped a bugged merchant caravan of things. As I haven't done that, I suspect the dorfs are stripping former quester visitors of items designated for dumping, which I'd done shortly after the first infiltrator attack (only 7 or so infiltrators) many years back, so I think isolating the fortress while the army was inbound cased the ones who hadn't entered to be stuck in limbo, but I haven't investigated that further, so I don't have enough for a bug report.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:47:21 am by PatrikLundell »