Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does the world continue to grow after world gen?  (Read 1616 times)

Virtual Russian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does the world continue to grow after world gen?
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:26:31 pm »

I've just started a fort in a world I had stop at year 2. This is for a project of mine where I want to be involved in the world from the start, and run a series of forts and adventures with people. However, at year 8, I've seen very little, possibly zero, growth of population or sites within the civilizations.

I thought they were supposed to continue to grow and expand, but maybe I'm wrong?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does the world continue to grow after world gen?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:53:49 pm »

If you're playing a reasonably modern version of DF the world is active, but I don't know if much is happening early on.
Megabeasts and titans have a tendency to raze sites, which of course has a negative effect on their populations. Similarly, excessive evil, good, or savage maps block expansion to a large extent.

Madde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 04:58:59 pm »

The world does indeed expand after you stop worldgen, it just might be slower because there's a lot less historical figures at the first couple of years. If you use an external tool like Legends viewer, you can notice changes in site populations easily.

Virtual Russian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 05:00:04 pm »

Thanks, that gives me hope. I'm in the most recent version, I'll just be a bit more patient.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 09:28:09 pm »

Yeah, it depends on the age of your world. For a world started at year 5, for example, you may see only 50-100 pop sites around you. These sites will grow in size, but since they have a lower starting size when you begin playing, it will take extra time to see the population grow. This is, of course, barring any titan/forgotton beast/wars that may impact that site's population.

Also, you probably know this but it is worth mentioning, the population counter isn't exact, and rounds the population up/down. For example, if a site has 46 residents, it would appear as 50 pop. It would remain this way until it grew to 55 pop. The range that this rounding occurs at also grows with the population, so exact numbers aren't something you would see without going into legends mode or using an external viewer.

Hope this helps!

Virtual Russian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 11:04:09 pm »

thanks, it does help, and explains what I've been seeing.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 04:17:49 am »

also from fortress mode using the civilizations screen, you can only access site info you got from caravans, visitors and your outpost liason.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 06:04:51 pm »

There were noticeable differences in just few years when I unretired a fort between two adventurers.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 07:57:15 pm »

Was most surprised to note that in the 3 years since starting my fortress, the local goblin civ has founded 150 new dark pits. Scary!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 05:37:24 am »

reminds me to change them to have a maxage again.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 07:26:01 am »

reminds me to change them to have a maxage again.
Funny thing is, a lot of them seem to be populated by the non-goblins of the civ. Snatchers gone into overdrive are causing massive urban pit-sprawl.