Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foreign designs and apprenticeships/internships  (Read 798 times)

divisionbyzero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Foreign designs and apprenticeships/internships
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:10:22 pm »

I'd like to make a suggestion and I tried to review some of the material already planned, but didn't see it.  I apologize in advance in case this is already on the forum somewhere.

The library system represents a knowledge sharing system, I think, where visiting scholars can essentially trade books, have them read, etc, increasing knowledge at the local fort but also at other locations.  I propose expanding this knowledge sharing to general crafting.

I could imagine a system where a dwarf could be sent to another region to intern/apprentice and learn foreign designs (e.g. large armor, or foreign weapons, etc).  Alternatively, foreign craftsmen could come and petition the fort to apprentice at a fort sharing foreign designs in exchange for experience working for legendary/master craftsdwarves.  Once the visitor leaves, there remain options to fabricate the foreign components thus sharing knowledge and increasing options for the dwarves to make. 

There could also be a system for taking armor (for example) on commission from an elf, or troll, or whatever which creates an option for a legendary dwarf to make a foreign design.

Just some thoughts.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign designs and apprenticeships/internships
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 07:53:29 am »

There has been quite a few similar ideas over the months, but i like your idea slightly more with how it ties into craftsmanship, dwarves have avid interests in craftmanship and this is a very dwarfy way to bring it into the game without breaking the systems.

• The master craftdwarf of a legendary (or a few levels above proficient) status and like opening the caverns this prompts idoling apprentices to start being attracted to your fortress. Image inset some legendary artifact maker hero-worship.

• If they are foriegn, the apprentice may come with quire/codice/scroll manuscripts (whichever culturally relevant) on how to make particular objects, eitherway they will take up a room in your tavern lodgings once they have signed into the apprenticeship and you accept their long-term residency conditions.
  • For a time the craftsman will be bogged down by their apprentice who will take over the workshop, their work profile will be conjoined and normal production may suffer, it is then up to the player to provide relevant experience giving activities so that the new worker can develop ideally from cheap and renewable work, more difficult apprentices working in fields with limited resources. Image inset a carpenter teaching their apprentice

• Once the apprentice is proficient and the duration of placement is over, they will request for residency or leave upon rejection, and since their manuscript containing the details of how to create foriegn objects, it simply needs to be stored in a book-case to be read and then have the information interred into your fortress.
  • For much given reason, you might receive documents for foriegn instruments or objects you already own which aren't very useful situationally to you than a sweet twohanded long sword so apprentices should be screened first before accepting, dwarves are very rarely interested in taking up apprenticeships in other civilisations but are driven by their craftsmanship values to go wherever there is equal or higher learning.

Now what's to say that you don't just steal the papers from them, in which case the quire/codice/scroll manuscript could be a item solely possessed by that individual and hence unusuable to dwarves until interred over, ontop of additional diplomatic, since books are treated both like artifacts and it has the additional value of containing state secrets so will attract unwanted reclaimation quests and attention.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign designs and apprenticeships/internships
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 03:45:44 pm »

I could imagine a system where a dwarf could be sent to another region to intern/apprentice and learn foreign designs (e.g. large armor, or foreign weapons, etc).  Alternatively, foreign craftsmen could come and petition the fort to apprentice at a fort sharing foreign designs in exchange for experience working for legendary/master craftsdwarves.
Also quite plausible is the opposite, petitioning the Mountainhome to send a Master (or possibly higher) of a specific discipline to stay at your fort for a predetermined time, either for the purpose of training apprentices, or outright doing the work himself. The master would, of course, expect luxurious room & board during his stay.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.