Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress attacked by goblins from 2 different sites!  (Read 790 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress attacked by goblins from 2 different sites!
« on: February 09, 2018, 05:31:11 am »

This post is an interesting observation (0.44.05), rather than a question.

My fortress has been attacked thrice by goblins, and I was unhappy to see the first two originating from a rather small conquered elven forest retreat (exported Legends info). The third one was a surprise, as it was essentially a full siege (no trolls, ogres, blizzard men, or beak dogs, though), which is more than that small site should be able to supply. Legends Mode showed the latest attack was from a 10000 strong Dark Fortress (with trolls and ogres, but neither beak dogs or blizzard men: they're in the essentially depopulated dark fortress next door), which is interesting, I have held the belief (and stated it) that once the staging site is set it is fixed.

I haven't sent anyone out on any expeditions (so I haven't annoyed another civ), nor left the fortress (i.e. abandon/retire), and all three attacks were made by the same civ.
For whatever reason the forest retreat has been abandoned by the goblins and a small number of elves have settled in that unaffiliated site since then.

Edit: The 4:th attack brought trolls and ogres as well (still no beak dogs or blizzard men, but that's to be expected).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:52:47 pm by PatrikLundell »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress attacked by goblins from 2 different sites!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:02:14 am »

So the attackers switched their point of origin to the new site, once the last one was abandoned, or earlier? Because there must be a safety mechanism to provide challenge, and probably that's it. They switched because the original site was abandoned/conquered, I guess.

I for long time had the idea that the switch is possible (in case the original site is destroyed). I even intended to do so by using an adventurer mass murderer. Unfortunately, even with cheats, it's a pain because of FPS issues - when clearing a site containing thousands of goblins, trolls and beakdogs, not to mention their stuff.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 11:33:11 am »

I didn't think they'd switch due to earlier experience with 0.40.24: every goblin attack came from the same site, even while it was under control of another civ, as well as later, when it was uncontrolled. Thus, either Toady has added a fallback since, or it glitched for me at that time (it took about 70 years to build up the numbers of the site to send a 30 strong force of raw recruits).

It's probably possible to DFHack the non hist fig site pops down to small numbers, which should make it easier to wipe the remainder out, but I have no experience of adventure mode.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:40:59 pm »

I would probably try to test it differently - no dfhack, but I will roll till the attackers come from a relatively small site (a thousand or two goblins would be ok). This "rolling" will still take some time most surely, because I can't just start a new fortress without some careful management.