Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trained GCS webbing  (Read 1856 times)

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trained GCS webbing
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:08:22 pm »

Made a forum account just for this post, cause it seems important.

Until just now it was my understanding that a trained Giant Cave Spider doesn't shoot webs at hostiles, that's what the wiki says and I'm only playing my second proper fortress, so I pretty much rely on the wiki for everything, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume my GCS based execution chamber filling literally every tile with silk the first time I used it is unusual, I'll go over what I did in as much detail as possible, to the point where it's probably unnecessary, because I am but a Dabbling Fortress Builder and Not Scientist, though I do plan on posting on this thread again for my next test(s), where I'll try removing certain steps to find out which ones are and aren't necessary. Also I am currently using 0.44.05, I've not updated yet cause I'm waiting for the inevitable fall of the fortress, I'm surprised I've even lasted this long.

So, first possible important detail: The 5 GCSs are pastured in a 7x7 room, at the end of a 20 tile long, 1 tile wide hallway completely filled with cage traps on a subterranean soil layer 3 z-levels from the surface, this room was initially a precaution to prevent a GCS from reverting to wild and eating my fortress' entire population, later used as a mating room to build up my trained GCS numbers just cause it was already made and not being used for much else now that my trainers are somewhat competent, and following my most recent goblin siege I decided I was going to feed the prisoners to the GCSs cause my military is already pretty well trained and pitting them against 2 goblins and 2 beak dogs seemed like more effort than it was worth, and also I thought it would be mildly amusing, their cages were built 1 tile's distance diagonally away from the 4 corners of the room, inside the pasture, beak dogs on the bottom, goblin hammerman on the top left, goblin spearman top right.
Possibly related detail #2: I caught the goblins on a different IRL day to building the cages and releasing them via lever, I hope that didn't have any effect on things but it's a possibility.
3rd possible relevant detail: I forgot to unforbid the goblins' equipment before designating dumping, they still had arms and armour when put in with the GCSs (didn't help them at all, and the helms probably boosted web production), and I am aware that during sieges any trained GCS will not web invaders, but maybe they react differently when there isn't an ongoing siege?
Next year's siege I'll do as many tests as my military will allow me to gather subjects for, hopefully providing me with at least 1 beak dog and 1 troll for testing on intelligence levels, and I might try to get an elf or two, I'm not at war with them (yet) but they are an important test subject for this; their unique relationship with wildlife could mean that the hippies are even more useless than I thought they are an unsuitable medium for generating silk.
Priority of tests will be as follows:

1)Test if exiting the game/turning off computer is necessary
2)Test if subject needs to be in GCS pasture
3)Test if subject must be armed during procedure
4)Test if subject must be armoured during procedure
5)Test if subject may be restrained

After the first 4 tests I should be able to determine what exactly caused the GCSs to shoot webs when usually they wouldn't, unless of course all tests turn out to prove their potentially relevant detail to actually be irrelevant.

Bonus: If tests 2 gives results that allow for it, use of fortifications could mean only one subject is needed, or perhaps for greater efficiency, one subject per GCS, however in order to actually collect the webs a marksdwarf may be needed to clear the area before any doors are unlocked, though info from test 5 may make this less of an issue

I had 3 other theories on this: that the GCSs being descended from male and female Hist Fig GCSs that I captured had some effect on things, that the GCSs being pregnant was somehow relevant, or that they are young enough to have not had to receive training yet did something, all of which were debunked when I checked the combat logs, as luck would have it I had unintentionally included control groups, there is a single male present and one of the females has recently been caught from the wild and thus was neither untrained nor a Hist Fig or descendent of, that meant if any of these were true, one of the GCSs would have no "the giant cave spider shoots out thick strands of webbing" in it's combat log, but all GCSs shot webs.

Anyone willing to test this out in 0.44.06 please do, I'm going to be converting the fortress of Bronzevipers into a GCS lab for the next 1-5 years depending on how many goblins my military kills before they have the chance to get caged per siege, so I won't be updating anytime soon. Also if anyone comes up with results before me please share, even if it is that you were able to replicate the results under the exact same conditions, it's at least proof that my game hasn't bugged out or something.

I've saved a screenshot of the silky room (been mostly harvested cause I accidentally left the game running before thinking to take the screenshot) while showing that the GCSs are tame with v (and also a potter busy harvesting silk), and I also got a screenshot of the combat log showing a goblin being webbed then bitten and repeatedly shaken around, will post as evidence if someone tells me how, I don't really know how to forum

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Trained GCS webbing
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:52 am »

Sorry, but why shouldn't YOUR trained GCSes shoot webs at YOUR enemies? Sounds normal to me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:30:23 am by Bearskie »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:47:25 am »

A wild GCS in a "peepshow booth" works better, because the bait can be a harmlessly adorable kitten, or some other "dwarves dont freak out from it" type critter. This allows you to close the shutter on the peepshow booth, preventing dwarves from seeing the evil rampaging wild GCS and freaking out when gathering the webs, and removes the need to hide the chained creature while the collection is underway.  The added hassle in running a silkfarm needed when using tame webbers vs wild ones is why nearly all silkfarms use wild webslingers.

As for what I mean by a peepshow booth...

Code: [Select]
O=OO
|C#G
O=OO

Where C is the GCS, # is a fortification it can see out of, and G is a flood gate linked to a lever. 
It's an older design, I am not sure if webbers still web if they cant path or not.

Original design of the peepshow booth had 4 floodgates and 4 fortifications, for use with "dust" and "Gas" based FBs, so that they could be used for pillbox fortifications on the surface. It works great as a seed for silkfarming with wild creatures though.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:56:38 am »

Sorry, but why shouldn't YOUR trained GCSes shoot webs at YOUR enemies? Sounds normal to me.
You'd expect that to be the case, but no, a trained GCS only really seemed to bite opponents until now, which is significantly less lethal without the webbing, and more importantly doesn't produce harvestable silk. Definitely the case in the version I'm using at least, as I have a few GCSs among my guard dogs and they did no webbing during the siege.
A wild GCS in a "peepshow booth" works better...
I know about the wild GCS farms, they're on the wiki, when I caught my first GCS I thought about making one and decided I wasn't experienced enough to handle it, and opted for using them as a defence force. I've not finished testing yet so I'm not sure what exactly I can and can't do with the bait, it might be that I can essentially make a reverse peepshow booth so it's the bait that gets hidden, meaning only one GCS is actually necessary for multiple farms, as they can be pastured at a different silk farm while one is being harvested, as well as freeing up a single bait dwarf and replacing them with something only otherwise useful as target practice for the military, also there's the added bonus of trading a rogue and potentially dangerous GCS for a rogue and potentially dangerous invader, which is significantly less risky, hell in my first fortress I had a goblin find a hole in the roof of my fortress, and upon jumping in it was met with an angry mob of civilians and only managed to kill one before being beaten to death, but I've seen a lone wild GCS take multiple monster hunters at once.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:48:03 pm »

I have now performed all 5 tests on goblins, tests 1-4 all resulted in webbing, test 5 resulted in a horrifying venom-based execution from 34 simultaneous GCS bites, no webs and no mercy.

Bonus info learned from extra testing: 1)Trained GCS will not web wild animals, nor sentient creatures listed as wild animals such as cavern trolls and gorlaks, and 2) the trained GCS will web even when it cannot path to the bait, they can fire through fortifications, and they don't keep it pinned in place with the web either, meaning your prisoner needn't die if it's just caught by another cage trap as it tries to leave the room.

So it seems, a trained GCS will not web anything except unrestrained released prisoners, whether this is exclusive to goblins or not I haven't tested yet, if someone else wants to test on beak dogs, siege trolls, or elves, feel free to do so, but the mission of Bronzevipers is complete and I'm gonna go teach my dwarves all about pillaging.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:04:43 pm »

I've used trained GCS to support my archers from behind fortifications for quite a while (Must be version 41.x or something).
Elves made the mistake of declaring war to my civilization.
When they attacked me  and marched towards the archer tower they got webbed and shot. Unable to flee. I liked out shooting those wanna be archer masters
Only downside was my archers inside got webbed too. The stuff was all over the place.

Maybe it worked because the GCS could not path to the enemies (they were with the archers and I looked them up for you know, crossbow bashing and all that).

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 08:25:19 pm »

... Maybe it worked because the GCS could not path to the enemies...

That's an interesting thought, not one I could test now, but it would be interesting to see if not having an available path could convince them to web other hostile targets, that would make them the ultimate sentry animal, since other creatures with an innate ranged attack are either untrainable or have a tendency to set the world on fire when they use it.

My tests were mostly done with a path to the bait available for the GCSs (hence test 5's gruesome conclusion), blocking the path with fortifications was left until later just in case it interfered with the results, next time I catch a GCS on fortress mode I'll be sure to test this out, make sure it works in the current version, and maybe also test on hostile wild animals.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 09:38:26 pm »

I've captured and tamed GCS in my last several forts.  I've seen GCS vs forgotten beasts over and over and in goblin sieges.  Here's what I've seen.

They do not web forgotten beasts pretty much ever.  In fact one time a spider ignored one and let it walk past.  I've seen two forgotten beasts appear to pick them up and toss them down the hall like frisbees.  When attacked by goblins they usually don't web them either.  If they get injured, they might.  In both cases the GCS is chained up somewhere, a front entrance or surrounded by traps.  Often goblins just shoot them with bows and the spider does not even get an attack in.

However, if you have a whole bunch of them, and they get injured, they will fight back and they will web vs a goblin invasion.  It's neat to see but difficult to set up.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 12:27:15 pm »

I think your problems with trained GCS stem from using chains instead of 1x1 pastures with lockable doors. I believe chained creatures do not use special attacks, such as webbing/spit etc.

Here's an example of one of my cavern entrances using trained GCS. No real issues with capturing FBs, aside from the inevitable "Urist cancels Clean: Caged" that results if I don't micromanage pathing and such when the traps are webbed. Oh and the occasional loss of spiders to dust/syndromes coming through the fortifications.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 02:07:41 pm »

I had a test fort using dfhack. 

z+1          z+0          z-1         
░░░+░░░░░░░  ░+░░░░░░░░░  ░░░░░░░░░d░
░░░+░░░░░░░  ░c░░░░bbbb░  ░░░░░░++++░
░░░+░░░░░░░  ░dFFFlbbbb░  ░░░░░░++++░
░░░h░░░░░░░  ░SFÇFlbbbb░  ░░░░░░++++░
░░░░░░░░░░░  ░dFFFlbbbb░  ░░░░░░++++░
░░░░░░░░░░░  ░+░░░░bbbb░  ░░░░░░++++░
░░░░░░░░░░░  ░░░░░░░░░░░  ░░░░░░░░░░░

h = hatch, set forbid, set as pit for bait. 
S = GCS, cage-lever released
d = door, forbid locked
c = cage trap for recapture
F = fortification
Ç = pit drop for bait, linked hatch-lever for recapture. 
l = floodgate lever-linked as shutters (optional)
b = retracting bridge for silk collection , lever-linked, toggle for silk collection
+ = floor.  collect silk below.

This was my setup.
S = Wild GCS.
Ç = bait:
when I used:
tame cat, Wild GCS did not spew web. 
peasant Urist (inactive military), Wild GCS did not spew web. 
military Urist (active military, orders station), Wild GCS did not spew web. 
wild animal Elk Bird, Wild GCS did not spew web. 
hostile zombie, Wild GCS spew web. 

To speed up testing, I used dfhack.
teleport -showpos (this spits out X, Y and Z of the cursor's tile).
teleport -unit -x X -y Y -z Z (use the X, Y and Z above, teleports the selected unit to the position).

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 03:15:33 pm »

... if you have a whole bunch of them, and they get injured, they will fight back and they will web vs a goblin invasion.  It's neat to see but difficult to set up.

I have quite a few defending the entrance to my fortress, they do get injured, but mostly by archers so it's possibly that they never get in range.

I think your problems with trained GCS stem from using chains instead of 1x1 pastures...

I have yet to chain a GCS at all, as stated previously, I think if a trained GCS does normally web an invader my problem is range

Some unusual results there for the military bait if you were using a wild GCS, was the bait skilled in combat? I found that GCSs tended to flee from my militia and wouldn't web unless forced into a fight, but my militia were all elites and judging by how they tended to hunt my civvies now and then I imagine the fleeing was a result of the skill level or strength, that being said they were perfectly willing to hunt my weaver who was quite a good striker (thanks troglodytes) somehow capable of 1v1ing anything in the first cavern layer barring forgotten beasts, using only his fists, and because he was a civvie the GCS wouldn't web him and he got away without a scratch, so maybe they're scared specifically of elite miltitadwarves? Alternatively, if it was a fresh unskilled conscript, I am bamboozle, that's supposed to be how to silk farm, but I made a 1 z level trained GCS silk farm that the wiki says shouldn't be possible, and you have a setup that the wiki says should work fine with a military dwarf but you have to use a zombie. Just how out of date is the wiki page on silk farming?