Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS Death by Undead Overload. Still Inevitable?  (Read 992 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS Death by Undead Overload. Still Inevitable?
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:56:17 am »

Does anyone know if reanimating/thralling biomes are still doomed to FPS death as undead accumulate in the caverns and thralls pile up on the surface?

The last time I tried seriously to play DF, that was pretty much unavoidable, because changes to the pathing algorithm meant that they couldn't figure out to come over and attack the fortress, even if there was an open valid path in. Then they'd accumulate a lot faster than they'd wander off, as long as the regions had populations left to enter the map and promptly get killed by the growing mass of life-hating creatures.

Maikcollos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Death by Undead Overload. Still Inevitable?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 10:29:13 am »

You can seal off the entrances with walls in the cavern to prevent creaturas from entering

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 11:23:00 am »

If you use dfhack you can kill and dump all of them in lava, that should solve the issue.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 03:14:52 pm »

You can seal off the entrances with walls in the cavern to prevent creaturas from entering
I'll try that again! I thought that if you leave a gap between the actual map edge and the walls, that creates a space for undead and non-undead to mingle and just creates a thin map-encircling band of undead. (Slightly putting off FPS death.) Or, if you obsidian cast or otherwise create walls on the map edge, do creatures just appear inside that wall?

I suspect that the real answer would be to use dfhack to modify the edge tiles such that your map no longer has edges, but effectively removing cavern creatures from gameplay seems like a poor solution to a pathing implementation problem.

Boochdizzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 04:16:56 pm »

Im not sure how good the science on walling off the edges of the map is... it sure causes a lot of caravans to get stuck in limbo for me, with caravan arrival notices pointing at walled off sections, with no units on the u screen. They often drop equipment there as if killed... makes me wonder whether my walled off undead are still prowling there unseen, butchering traders and wagons?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 04:36:21 pm »

Walling off caverns work well. Obviously, to do that you'll have to remove the current lot(s) of undead from them to get workers do their job.

You can provide openings at cavern edges to allow you to select what to let in and what to keep out until they move on. I generally have 4 of those per cavern as well, and kill of FBs, but otherwise let critters appear, stay for a while, and move on. I don't know how undeath affects that, though.

Walling of the surface has negative effects on caravans, migrants, etc. so I wouldn't recommend that. I'd rather provide a path into the fortress for suitable processing (I generally have 4 entrances to the surface).

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 05:54:48 am »

Doesn't the starving dead script in DF hack prevent that?
http://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/_auto/base.html#starvingdead