Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can bisexual dwarves get married and get children?  (Read 974 times)

Marianne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can bisexual dwarves get married and get children?
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:49:15 pm »

Hey,

I have two dwarves. Both of them are bisexual and I checked their souls with "gui/gm-editor".

The man has:
marry_female
romance_male

And the woman has:
marry_male
romance_female

Can they get married? Both of them have the goal of "Raising a family" but I read in the wiki that only heterosexual couples can get children at all. Or does heterosexual couples just mean "man and woman"?

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: Can bisexual dwarves get married and get children?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 03:04:34 pm »

That might need clarification. But if it's all just tag-based then the right tags are in play, they should be able to marry given enough time to interact.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Marianne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:06:19 pm »

Does a marriage between "non-same-sex" couples always result in children?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 05:27:22 pm »

To answer the intial question, yes.  However marriage will be blocked if either dwarf already has a lover ( = one lover only, need lover before marriage).

I believe that different-sex dwarf couples are always fertile.  In my experience they seem to need to occupy the same bed simultaneously for procreation to take place.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:29:11 pm by feelotraveller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 06:31:22 pm »

Citizen procreation requires the couple to be in the same or adjacent tiles (a recent observation indicates diagonals are OK), while both are displaying "No Job" (and socializing gets in the way of procreation, so remove the tavern zone once they're married). Usually the female is pregnant once one of them move after that (but not always: I sometimes have to let them try a few times). Beds are not required (and probably do not factor in the equation at all).

Given that (male) dorfs have geldables, I assume injury can render them infertile, although I haven't had any reason to investigate it.

Left to their own devices (under a whip cracking mad overseer) dorfs are fairly poor at procreating, because they tend to spend almost all their non work time on needs fulfillment, with couples only being near each other occasionally. Still, spontaneous child birth is more common than spontaneous marriage (and the children tend to have migrants who were married at arrival as parents, of course).

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 06:44:32 pm »

whip cracking mad overseer

Yup, that's me.  Only bad dwarf is an idle dwarf.  :P

Thanks for the correction.  :)

Marianne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 07:49:28 am »

I just wanted to let you know that both dwarves married, so the orientation flag is the requirement having the last word when it comes to marriages. ;)

I hope they will have kids.