Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eliminate Paternalistic Regulation  (Read 1155 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eliminate Paternalistic Regulation
« on: January 06, 2018, 08:25:38 pm »

So, I have an idea for a tavern, and given the unique layout of the local topography, I'd like to build it at a certain location in a certai way.

Trouble is, said location is too near the edge of the map for walls to be built properly, disrupting my plan.

Is there a structural reason why you're not allowed to build walls that close to the edge? I can see a game design reason, but it makes no sense because if the player *really* wants to exclude the outside world, there are many ways to do so, and so this hard-coded regulation seems merely stifling to creativity.

Anyone else had this experience?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Eliminate Paternalistic Regulation
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:50:18 pm »

I think it's to make it harder to mess with units getting onto the map. It's fine if you turtle yourself in, but if stuff can't get into the playable game area, there are going to be serious issues.

Take for example the recent issue with caravans. If you save while a caravan has arrived but hasn't entered yet, they get stuck there and you don't get any more caravans. You need DFHack to fix that. Now imagine what kind of bugs could occur with every other kind of interaction. You could probably end of with years worth of invaders trapped in limbo, yet needing to be loaded into memory.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:52:46 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 10:09:30 pm »

That's a fair point.  :-\

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 10:17:52 pm »

Best way to solve this would be to make it possible to expand the site during play, like how prison architect does it. I imagine that could involve some rather major rewrites though.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 06:50:21 am »

Best way to solve this would be to make it possible to expand the site during play, like how prison architect does it. I imagine that could involve some rather major rewrites though.

thats... brilliant, though extremely laggy and awkward if you're using exploits like dumping water off the edge of the map, only to find on revealing causes the water you dumped there to come straight back at you (though toady wants to eliminate map exploits anyway, there is always going to be a map border but having invisible tiles essentially works towards fufilling the promise of WG continuity of things like blocked river flows affecting downstream.)

Perhaps each level of noble up until dwarf king's land holder status once you attract them will optionally unlock a additional segment of the game-map and you can slowly see settlements start to spawl and expand in accordance to the power of the land-holders title to claim the lands around themselves. Compared to a fixed mayor that doesn't. Yep definitely needs re-rewites but is a interesting concept.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:51:36 am »

thats... brilliant, though extremely laggy and awkward if you're using exploits like dumping water off the edge of the map, only to find on revealing causes the water you dumped there to come straight back at you (though toady wants to eliminate map exploits anyway, there is always going to be a map border but having invisible tiles essentially works towards fufilling the promise of WG continuity of things like blocked river flows affecting downstream.)

Perhaps each level of noble up until dwarf king's land holder status once you attract them will optionally unlock a additional segment of the game-map and you can slowly see settlements start to spawl and expand in accordance to the power of the land-holders title to claim the lands around themselves. Compared to a fixed mayor that doesn't. Yep definitely needs re-rewites but is a interesting concept.

And actually gives the nobles a reason to exist! Awesome.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 08:12:14 am »

We can't do that because the site area is actually limited by the memory requirements of running an area at that level of detail.  There is presently essentially only a very large max on the area we can control, but we keep it down for memory reasons. 

Don't folks expand to get away from the claims of the land-holders rather than as a function of said claims expanding?