Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gratuitous Land Battles - Interest Check and Discussion  (Read 810 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Gratuitous Land Battles - Interest Check and Discussion
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:56:20 pm »

Some of you may have played the Gratuitous Space Battles and Gratuitous Tank Battles games, the custom battle mode in every Total War Game or maybe you've played any Tabletop Wargame, be it Warhammer Fantasy, 40K, Bolt Action or many others. This game is intended to allow players to field armies and battle it out, with no need for complex backstories or an encompassing Grand Strategy game.

Like most such games, the intention is to provide a plethora of units, equipment and the like, each with a points cost that is hopefully vaguely balanced.

However, this is where you come in. What sort of armies do you want to lead? Historically accurate Medieval? Steampunk World War I? Star Wars? Napoleonic Fantasy? The list is endless.

For sanity's sake, armies across different options aren't meant to be balanced. There's no way a battle between space marines and levy spearmen can be fair. I'm quite happy to hear of new types of army, as well as some initial speculation on units and costs.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gratuitous Land Battles - Interest Check and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 04:23:42 pm »

I am very interested, and will begin putting together ideas immediately.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:37:24 pm »

What do you want armies to look like?
 I think I would go with a steampunk fantasy kinda armie.
I have a base Idea, but i don't know where to really start.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 07:21:27 pm »

I have two primary army ideas.

1. Dungeon Monsters: Various old school Zelda style monsters, many require specific strategies to fight effectively. This means stuff like living armor that need to be hit through the eye slot with a precision weapon, hard carapaced beetles with soft backsides that must be attacked from behind, statues that come to life, ETC.
2. Zombies, but cool: Zombies and zombie-like things from various fictional settings chosen for being interestingly designed. Stuff like Sunset Overdrive, Fortnite, and more.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:51:39 pm by Failbird105 »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 07:31:58 pm »

Well, I might want to join this, if these sort of armies would be reasonable.

1. Clockwork Soldiers. Relatively powerful, but individually limited in what they can do, making them predictable. Basic soldiers can only be told to approach, shoot, or retreat. Tanks that move forward and shoot enemies, only turning when they hit a dead end or when they begin to leave the battlefield, looking for more enemies. Guerrilla fighters that go forward, attack, and retreat on a specific schedule. That sort of thing.
2. Slimes. Duplication of basic units by consuming resources, as well as congealing together to form the giant, ever-spreading main forces. You know what I'm trying to say?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:02:30 pm »

Steampunk Cyclopses. Basically 12-foot tall cyclopses with steampunk tech.  That's the basic Idea Anyway. Every single unit, even a base guy with club, would probably be very expensive in comparison to another armies units and anything more than that would probably be insanely expensive.
So your basic Steampunk cyclopses would be made up of basically just cyclopses with gasmasks, big leather coats (sized to a cyclops so like a couple inches thick) with some metal plates sewn on. No guns or anything, pay an extra point to give them trench shovels.
The elites would be basically wearing battleship armour, with a small steam engine and gigantic bolt action rifles.

Basically, they would kinda work like Orges in Warhammer fantasy. really strong units, but really expensive too.
So not many vehicles, High cost, and very few non-infantry gear. but what they do have is Super strong but expensive Infantry and even more expensive big ass guns.
so low amount of actual units because of the prohibitive cost, But Big punch for what units they do have.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 08:21:09 pm »

another couple ideas
3. Minecraft Mobs: What it says on the tin, probably will include some mods. Mechanically I see them being mostly united under a gimmick of loving the dark. Many of them burn in direct sunlight, others can't enter the battlefield during the day without using specific structures.
4. Monsters: Monster Hunter style. Very powerful individual units, and large packs of weak ones, with the rub being they hate eachother, most of the large monsters would have a "must attack if able" rule of some sort, and allied units would be considered valid targets for such.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:33:38 pm »

1: The Vermintide: An entire army of andromorphic rats, an a eternal hatred of the surface dwellers. They utilize both numerous amount of rat slaves, horrible monstrosities, and steampunk technology that shouldn't work to create vehicles and devices. They have access to many poisonous or blight-based attack, both dedicated to anti-swarm posion explosions and anti-large blight attacks as well. Also larger variety of the rats exist, believing in the iniquitous Horned Ones inside there culture, and some rats become more goat-like (mainly with the horns) because of there religious fervor, and become nightmares on the battlefield. Many of their rats are burrowers and can provide effective flanking attacks to infantry, when there on the defense

2: The Cult of War: An entire legion of human-soldiers, referencing both Greek and Japanese culture inside one. The humanoids are strictly trained and are a small but deadly legion of humanoids equipped with a variety of equipment. The army prefers quality instead of quantity for this one, but has the backbone of combined arms tactics on its side. Many of the units they bring are the holy versions of themselves, blessed ballistas are the anti-large artillery or the divine h'watchas provide mass-fire support for the troops. They even have access to cavalry, though most of it are shock or ranged support. Even having access to greek-mythology units, or at least the ones that considered "righteous".

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 09:33:49 pm »

So Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator, the forum game? I’d be down to throw out some ideas.

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*