Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheese Cultists! (or something)  (Read 548 times)

rungus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cheese Cultists! (or something)
« on: February 11, 2021, 08:05:10 am »

Well, not cheese cultists as such, but visitors arrive and they say they have heard of Urist Whatever, the legendary cheesemaker, and they wish to try his wares. They then offer to stay and fight/work for you for a limited amount of time because they liked the legendary cheese so much. Or they offer something in return, like steel bars, or they offer to use their magics to trigger a strange mood, or they offer to teach your army a legendary technique that raises their dodging skill by one, etc.

And the same with other skills: We are the Furnace Enthusiasts of Wanesmothered, and we have heard of the furnace operating skills of <name name>, before offering something in return for seeing that dwarf do his thing at the furnace.

I just thought it might be good to have something in return for all that cheesemaking skill. I mean, perhaps the cheese is its own reward, but also cheese cultists would be cool, right?

This is my first post, by the way, so be nice if I'm doing everything wrong. There are probably forum rules that I should have read somewhere, but ADHD means I never read big blocks of text. I've been playing the game for a month or so now, and it's pretty frustrating and wonderful, so hello everyone! I should probably have said hello before the cheese thing, but meh.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cheese Cultists! (or something)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 08:40:55 am »

Welcome!  Welcome! Welcome to the forums.

Please come this way to join with the rest of the cultists...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 09:17:36 am »

I could imagine craftdwarves (humans, ...) go on Waltz before they obtain a certain rank. So some of your newly trained dwarves leave the fortress for a certain amount of time and may learn to create specific <other race> gear depending on where they go, and you may get visiting ones that petition to stay for a certain amount of time to learn from one of your masters.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:21:07 am »

Journeymen.  Very good idea.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 09:46:06 am »

The offspring of nobles, OTOH, go on a Grand Tour where they merely purchase various foreignly-local crafts (which may end up being low quality, bashed out as copies of older, finer and perhaps even more imagined 'originals'), hauling them home to dot liberally around the place as some sort of 'statement'. And maybe inspire the local craftspersons in making additionally inauthenticly-inspired crafts that would frankly amaze the original civilisation.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 05:05:00 am »

It might be implemented by linking guilds between cities, so that, for exemple, we might have jewellers travelling between sites to learn their craft.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."