Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology  (Read 3269 times)

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology
« on: December 27, 2017, 08:58:52 am »

So, we all know the classic story about a dwarf who gets turned into a golem:

http://www.dfst.org/en/stories/280

Has anyone looked into reproducing this? Can this somehow be turned into a recipe for the, dare I say it, perfect dwarf?
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

xtw136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 11:15:04 am »

Surgeon too much flesh will cause this dwarf bleed to death.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 05:30:31 pm »

Surgeon too much flesh will cause this dwarf bleed to death.

Aye. We must cut away the flesh. We will power it with magma and adamantine.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:36:22 pm »

With modding it would almost certainly be possible.

This story sounds like it was probably necrosis. In that case you would just need a long-lasting necrosis of all skin and muscular tissue. Something that is slow enough that medical dwarves could keep up with the damage, but long lasting enough that it would eventually require the removal of all non-essential tissues.

Outside of modding you would just need to get very lucky in finding a FB with a similar syndrome. With modding, you could create a workshop that generates this syndrome via the ol' boiling boulder trick.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 12:30:43 pm »

I was hoping there would be a more controllable way of melting the dwarf's flesh. Has anyone done any science on steaming or burning dwarves? Or maybe frostbite or something else will destroy the flesh?
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 12:43:28 pm »

Steaming IME results in burns, not melting. Burns would simply heal and would therefore not result in any increased durability.

I did arena mode experiments with extreme temperature followed by dousing with water or extreme cold, and the subjects survived with safely melted fat. Therefore some kind of fire and immediate dousing of water would be a good place to start.

I'm unskilled at complex dwarf trick/fort mode machinery, though.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 04:05:41 pm »

When I was playing Murdermachines, a dwarf named Microblighted was afflicted by a rotting syndrome. All his flesh was excised (by an unpracticed animal dissector, in true dwarven fashion) and he lived. Afterwards, all his bones were splinted, and they healed in a few months. Unfortunately he died of the inoperable rot in his joints.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 04:16:19 pm »

Yeah, most reliable way would be to cause rot in muscle/skin only, and via modding for science.

You would have to get super lucky in vanilla fort mode no matter how you arranged it, unless you had hyper-precise dwarf trick machinery going.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 04:19:16 pm »

Yeah, most reliable way would be to cause rot in muscle/skin only, and via modding for science.

You would have to get super lucky in vanilla fort mode no matter how you arranged it, unless you had hyper-precise dwarf trick machinery going.
Not muscle, just skin and fat. Joints are made of muscle and are internal. Maybe you could do muscle if you had a localized contact rotting poison, then coated the whole dwarf with it? Needs science.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 05:45:59 pm »

Not muscle, just skin and fat. Joints are made of muscle and are internal. Maybe you could do muscle if you had a localized contact rotting poison, then coated the whole dwarf with it? Needs science.

So the first syndrome can take out fat/skin, and then a second, doused liquid version that evaporates quickly and is contact only. A long process, but potentially successful.

Just sort of erode the dwarf until it is a skeleton. Are motor nerves kept in muscles?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 07:50:13 pm »

A dwarf can't move without muscles, but surgeons don't remove a tissue when they excise rotten flesh, they just cut it. I think that story is both a bit of an exaggeration and the result of completely wrapping a dwarf in adamantine cloth.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 05:35:17 pm »

PTW and contemplate.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 10:19:42 pm »

So the first syndrome can take out fat/skin, and then a second, doused liquid version that evaporates quickly and is contact only. A long process, but potentially successful.

Just sort of erode the dwarf until it is a skeleton. Are motor nerves kept in muscles?

It is probably possible to control the temperature of a body of water reliably using magma, pumps and some vessel with a high heat capacity. The idea would be to control the temperature of the vessel by exposing it to magma and then pumping it away again before it equlibrates, thus only reaching the desired temperature. Just looking briefly at the wiki, lignite takes about 500 ticks to reach magma temperature.
Maybe we can heat and then quench a dwarf rapidly until the outer layers melt away. There might even be a way to set up a machine that has exactly the required duty cycle to maintain a nearly constant temperature in the heat bath.
Thoughts?

Edit: On second thought it's probably better to use lard or fat which would have a broader liquid temperature range.

Edit2: Looking at the raws just now, skin doesn't have any melting point, but fat does, so although we can't use the above method to remove the skin, it's probably possible to remove the fat. Skin has [HEATDAM_POINT:10250], whereas fat has [MELTING_POINT:10078], so it even looks like you could melt fat without damaging skin. What happens if you do that?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:30:14 pm by Drokles »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 06:22:41 pm »

It is probably possible to control the temperature of a body of water reliably using magma, pumps and some vessel with a high heat capacity. The idea would be to control the temperature of the vessel by exposing it to magma and then pumping it away again before it equlibrates, thus only reaching the desired temperature. Just looking briefly at the wiki, lignite takes about 500 ticks to reach magma temperature.
Maybe we can heat and then quench a dwarf rapidly until the outer layers melt away. There might even be a way to set up a machine that has exactly the required duty cycle to maintain a nearly constant temperature in the heat bath.
Thoughts?

Edit: On second thought it's probably better to use lard or fat which would have a broader liquid temperature range.

Edit2: Looking at the raws just now, skin doesn't have any melting point, but fat does, so although we can't use the above method to remove the skin, it's probably possible to remove the fat. Skin has [HEATDAM_POINT:10250], whereas fat has [MELTING_POINT:10078], so it even looks like you could melt fat without damaging skin. What happens if you do that?

The fat leaks out. In copious quantities. I have heard that the process also makes the creature less vulnerable to fire damage.