Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Medal of honor  (Read 1332 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Medal of honor
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:03:31 pm »

Any good ideas for medals of valor/honor/stubborness for my dwarven military? The only thing I can think of is decorating there shield/weapon/armor with a specific image ore something. But I would like to assign theme a specific object that wont hinder there military capacity.

in short im looking for something light, fancy and assignable, because I want to reward a dwarf for recovering a site artefact from the grips of a kea.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Medal of honor
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 01:00:55 am »

Adamantine axe or sword? Light, fancy, assignable, useful in its own right.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:27:43 pm »

Assigning the heroic dwarves special flasks made out of precious metals and decorated in all sorts of fancy things is a pretty nice way of rewarding dorfs without impacting their martial ability

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:44:03 pm »

Assigning the heroic dwarves special flasks made out of precious metals and decorated in all sorts of fancy things is a pretty nice way of rewarding dorfs without impacting their martial ability

"Thanks for slaying that forgotten beast Urist! Now here's a 30 pound gold flask as a reward!"

In seriousness, I usually give them a unique profession. Personal trinkets are all well and good but "bob the drunken titan slayer" just rolls off the tongue better. And a personal tomb so they always know their place.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 10:03:16 pm »

"Thanks for slaying that forgotten beast Urist! Now here's a 30 pound gold flask as a reward!"

In seriousness, I usually give them a unique profession. Personal trinkets are all well and good but "bob the drunken titan slayer" just rolls off the tongue better. And a personal tomb so they always know their place.

Yeah. in the ground!

......which actually works for dwarves.

lol
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:39:23 pm »

I just give them the best weapons and armor, since I rarely have a smith that can consistently crank out masterwork steel enough to provide the entire military.
I should probably start decorating more stuff...
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 12:09:25 am »

A 6+ tile bedroom with masterwork furniture made out of the materials they prefer, and use the extra space for anything else they like and add a statue engraved with an image of the event (if possible, I've done few event engravings).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Aerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 06:34:10 am »

I usually engrave the rooms those guys own, dedicate statues, build special tombs, furnitures in the material they like and so on.. They are also in a special class 'Warrior' instead of Militia
I do also note the ones doing an artifact or any other Heroic deed not military oriented with a special profession where duties are removed and only their special skill is kept active.

But, I tend to run 150+ forts and can generally afford to have an Elite class with over the top luxuries and very light schedules

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 01:02:00 am »

Well for the mooded dwarves I go about it a bit differently, I give them their own personal workshop for their skill and only allow that dwarf to use that workshop I just dig out another 2X4 chamber behind their 2x3 room and put in a workshop,  small stockpile and a quantum dump pile. Turn all other dump zones inactive, and then dump enough materials in that pile for use with that workshop. Other labors remain enabled on the dwarf so that they could have multiple skills at legendry status (Mining + metal crafting, for example)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 03:03:46 pm »

my military usually enjoys a lot better sleeping quarters than anybody else in my fort and weaponry than anybody else. and my military captains/commanders always live in some of the most opulent rooms i can make for them (heavily silver themed usually)  so i dont really feel like i need reward them any more than i already do...

but specially crafted and decorated military bling for dwarves that distinguish themselves in warfare does sound like kind of a fun thing to do... can you craft gems and shit into weapons and armor?? would be pretty fucking cool if you could...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 04:08:59 pm »

I was almost certain you could encrust weapons and armor with gems, but to my surprise, the wiki says you can't.  You can, however, decorate them with other metals.  So you can still add gold or silver decorations to weapons and armor.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Aerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 09:31:14 am »

Yes, you cannot do that.

I usually decorate the shields/weapons of the noted Dwarfs with some specific stockpile linked to a specific workshop. It does not add to the weight and some Dwarfs manage to get impressive Shields or Weapons.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 05:03:15 am »

Yes. You can only decorate weapons/armor with metals and bones/pearls/hooves... sadly.
I would love to be able to add gems to them, just for the fuck of it.

----------------

Reminds me of this amazing statue of a dying dog I had.

I once studded everything I could on one single statue for my dining room.
The statue was a "mere" rose gold statue of ☼ 6900 ☼ of a dog in fetal position.
For whatever reason, I decided to make it stupidly valuable.

Every single metal type I had, I stud in it.
Every single gem I had was cut and added to it.
Every stone type I could find was polished into cabochons and encrusted into the thing.
Then, silk, wool and pig tails images were weaved into the statue.

It wasn't enough. So I butchered all the animals of the fort. Their bones were added to the statue, and their leather (sewed into images of dwarves eating cheese) increased further the furniture's value.

I managed to reach something like ☼ 200.000 ☼ without the use of any candy.

I think I kept a screenshot of this glorious statue somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:08:02 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]