Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Dwarven Caravan (Civ Still Alive)  (Read 2460 times)

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Dwarven Caravan (Civ Still Alive)
« on: December 29, 2017, 12:15:15 am »

For the past two years of my game neither the dwarven caravan, nor the outpost liaison has arrived despite my civ still being alive. Does anyone have an explanation for this? can it be fixed? I'm playing version 0.43.03

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Dwarven Caravan (Civ Still Alive)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:18:22 am »

The obvious question: were you having a siege at the time? I'm like 99% sure that elf and human caravans at the very least don't show up if you have a siege or some invading surface monster attacking, not sure about dwarf caravans/the liason.

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:28:47 am »

the first year I had a siege at the beginning of autumn, the second year I did not (unless you count forgotten beasts)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 12:35:20 am »

Does your civ still have an outpost liason listed? Not sure if those can get killed, and if they get replaced (and if so how long it takes).

Not sure actually if Forgotten Beasts would stop a caravan. I wouldn't think so, but I don't know!

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 12:37:00 am »

Does your civ still have an outpost liason listed? Not sure if those can get killed, and if they get replaced (and if so how long it takes).

Not sure actually if Forgotten Beasts would stop a caravan. I wouldn't think so, but I don't know!

Yes my civ still has an outpost liason listed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 04:20:57 am »

I would expect Titans rampaging to count at invasions for caravan blocking purposes but cannot swear on it, but FBs down in the caverns do not (I don't know what happens if they get up to the surface, though).
Dwarven caravans have the same sense to keep out of being slaughtered as other caravans do (and the same lack of sense regarding half goblin teeth).
It's known that dwarven caravans can go AWOL for years, but it's not really known why (apart from the obvious siege block). There siege of the mountainhome has been used as one explanation, but I don't know how well that theory has been researched.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 03:42:49 pm »

Titans and FBs do NOT stop the caravan.

I think a likely cause is that the caravan got stuck outside the maps edge on the first seige. I've had this happen a few times. You can fix it with dfHack. There is a script to fix stuck merchants.

To see if this is the cause take a look at your stock screen. Do you have any invisible items? They show up red and when you zoom in on them there is no item there.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 11:00:54 pm »

It's also possible that your king/queen is not where he/she should be. 

To explain, I've had a weird incident where the old dwarven king died and was succeeded by a dwarf that had been kidnapped by goblins, "escaped," and became a bandit so that a bandit camp was technically the mountainhome--which could not send caravans, obviously.

What made caravans resume was to go into the adventure mode and slay the queen to have the kingship pass to someone at a proper fortress.

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 10:18:15 pm »

I think a likely cause is that the caravan got stuck outside the maps edge on the first seige. I've had this happen a few times. You can fix it with dfHack. There is a script to fix stuck merchants.

To see if this is the cause take a look at your stock screen. Do you have any invisible items? They show up red and when you zoom in on them there is no item there.

I have red items in my stocks, and they are not there when I zoom to them. I attempted to use the guide here (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159297.0) to fix the problem, since my version of dfhack does not seem to have fix/stuck-merchants, but while the red items were now located at the spot I teleported everything to, neither they nor the theoretical merchants became visible.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 10:32:39 pm »

I have red items in my stocks, and they are not there when I zoom to them. I attempted to use the guide here (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159297.0) to fix the problem, since my version of dfhack does not seem to have fix/stuck-merchants, but while the red items were now located at the spot I teleported everything to, neither they nor the theoretical merchants became visible.

Here is a video tutorial I made on how to add scripts for dfhack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgGuYZg8yBQ&feature=youtu.be

You will probably have to add the script in yourself. The code will be in that guide thread so you can copy and paste it into note++ and save it into the scripts section of dfhack.

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 11:37:15 pm »

Here is a video tutorial I made on how to add scripts for dfhack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgGuYZg8yBQ&feature=youtu.be

You will probably have to add the script in yourself. The code will be in that guide thread so you can copy and paste it into note++ and save it into the scripts section of dfhack.

the claimmerchantstuff command worked on about half the items, the dismissmerchants command did nothing.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 01:58:18 am »

I just select the red items for dumping and then use autodump. They all should be teleported.

You can try fix/retrieve-units which I think works for any units who are stuck.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531