Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: winter trade race?  (Read 1401 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
winter trade race?
« on: December 23, 2017, 11:12:15 am »

is there a mod that adds a race that can trade with you in the winter? winter has always been a dull season for me so i'm hoping something like this would help
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: winter trade race?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 01:36:04 pm »

is there a mod that adds a race that can trade with you in the winter? winter has always been a dull season for me so i'm hoping something like this would help
Sure, its pretty common in most mods to add a race(or many) that is active in the winter. Masterwork, Genesis, ZM5's mods, Direforged, LDF Lite (a compilation of ZM5's works and a few others), ROTMK, etc... are all good examples of mods that add plenty of races to interact with in the world. I left out a ton too, just go take a look at the modding releases subforum.

If you'd like to mod it in yourself, here's how:
Open up entity_default.txt, find the section for either humans or elves (whichever you want to come in the winter). Scroll down until you see the line [ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER] (or SPRING). This is the token that controls when they interact with you. You have two choices, either replace "SUMMER"/"SPRING" with "WINTER" (no quotation marks), or give them a second [ACTIVE_SEASON] token.  It is valid for a civ to have multiple active seasons. Have fun ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 01:50:47 pm by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 02:30:42 pm »

thanks! i'll look around a bit and if I don't find anything I like i'll just add humans to come during winter
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 02:38:00 pm »

another question, what would happen if two or more races were set to come during the same seasons, could I reasonable have both elves and humans come to trade during winter?
GENERATION 30:

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 02:50:28 pm »

Yeah, the game is built to withstand more than one set of caravans hanging out at your depot at the same time.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 03:32:52 pm »

alright added [ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER] to elves and humans, one last question, do I need a regen to make use of this?
GENERATION 30:

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 03:42:56 pm »

alright added [ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER] to elves and humans, one last question, do I need a regen to make use of this?
Im not sure, try making the change in your save's raws and then test it out edit: was wrong, ty vjmdhzgr
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:16:00 pm by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 04:05:35 pm »

Yes. Civilizations are determined when the world is generated, so changes to the entity raws do nothing without making a new world.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 05:17:07 pm »

That's the conventional rule of thumb, but entities do have stuff that can be adjusted on the fly. Siege/trade criteria come to mind. It's simple enough of a toggle that it's worth trying.