Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How long does it take for doors to melt?  (Read 1358 times)

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
How long does it take for doors to melt?
« on: December 08, 2017, 06:22:28 pm »

So, I decided to try a way of safely tapping into the side of a magma column that I haven't attempted before. I built a +cobaltite door+ next to where I intended to mine, then mined diagonally into the side of the magma tube. My miner survived, and the magma remained in the column, blocked behind the door, giving the miner a chance to escape with his life. However, after more than a dorfmonth later, the door had not yet melted. Wondering if magma could only melt doors that were orthagonal to it, I built a second +cobaltite door+ behind the first and repeated the process. This opened up a space beside the first door, allowing magma to fill the orthagonally adjacent space. I have again been waiting for more than a dorfmonth and still the doors remain standing, unscathed so far as I can tell.

I intentionally picked cobaltite because I know it's not magma-safe. But I wasn't anticipating this taking nearly so long. I've got an obsidian trap built, and all I need is the magma, but it doesn't seem interested in melting down the doors and flowing to the magma-safe drawbridge that blocks off the end of the tunnel leading to the trap. How long should I expect this to take?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: How long does it take for doors to melt?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:33:52 pm »

It won't melt. Tiles next to magma are 10075 °U. That's not even enough to burn wood or melt fat.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:35:44 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 06:44:16 pm »

So does a door have to be open to melt?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 06:50:57 pm »

IIRC you can attach the door to a lever.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 01:31:41 am »

So does a door have to be open to melt?
I think so, unless there's a valid material I'm missing that melts between underground temp and warm stone. Could always mod one.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 07:01:27 am »

Ice can be made into ice boulders... Can doors be constructed from ice boulders?  That would be about the only material I can think of that would actually melt in that temperature range.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 01:47:14 pm »

Not without modding or setting job-material on job to accept it.

You can sort of do this "temporary blockade" with retracting (wooden or whatnot) bridges and mining from beneath, but you still need access to build bridge on its z-level, so its not much of an improvement even where it is useful.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:07:39 am »

Find yourself a troll, and let him destroy they door for you (after being released from a cage). I'm not sure if trolls still need to be one tile away to damage door properly. There are troll-less method to tap into magma, but without doors. Doors are best paired with trolls, it's just a law of nature.