Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf becomes enraged at embark  (Read 826 times)

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf becomes enraged at embark
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:05:54 pm »

I just started a new game to have the new update stuff. After scouting the world a bit I embarked in a temperate

I had just dug a entry tunnel and built a bridge over a river to set up base in a easily defensible position. Suddenly, two dwarves cancelled their wood hauling jobs as one started attacking the other. It is approximately 22 Granite 125 (less than 10 days after embark) and there's already a temporary meeting hall in the entry tunnel, next to a frozen waterfall. They were outside crossing the bridge. I was not able to see which way they were going.

Dwarf #1 (the Carpenter) was enraged at all enemies. She is apparently "assertive to the point of aggression, unwilling to let others get a word in edgewise when she has something to say. She is given to rough-and-tumble brawling, even to the point of starting fights for no reason". Dwarf #2 (the Doctor) was attacked, and now has structural damage to the upper and lower body, both legs, left arm (lower, minor injury in upper), left foot, and guts; function loss in right lung; and broken left hip. Carpenter has structural damage to upper and lower body, head, neck, left arm, right hand, left leg, right foot, liver, and left hip; and loss of function of pancreas and right kidney.

Dwarf 1 is now back to normal and satisfied upon improving fighting.

Why does this happen and what can I do to prevent this from happening?

(At least it was the woodworker, not the miners or woodcutter)
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf becomes enraged at embark
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 08:06:59 pm »

I've noticed these dwarves too in the new version, its unfortunately just a roll of chance, so soon is suprising though.

I would recommend starting again if you don't wish to continue with this dwarf, or appointing them to train individually as the militia captain and let off some steam, ready to be angry in actual combat rather than attacking dwarves. Normally they would be punished & purged by the dwarven justice system for assault, or future vandalism/murder with particularly troublesome dwarves.

Do they bear a grudge against the other dwarf? it might make them a particular target since fist-happy beings (not just dwarves, almost all races) when inclined, tend to hit the person they have the worst relationship score with which usually starts the fight anyway due to a heated arguement.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:14:50 pm »

They were almost certainly arguing, which then escalated into a fistfight. If you have argumentative dwarves (or, more dangerously, one who loves arguments and one with a short temper) on embark, you could try keeping them well away from each other until you can handle some minor injuries. Send one of them off woodcutting for example.

Hmm...short temper...axe...What could possibly go wrong? :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:40:03 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:37:57 pm »

All the dwarves are besties, shouldn't be killing each other.

And assigning a short-tempered dwarf to a job that trains beating things up and killing them might not be the best idea?
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 03:14:21 am »

All the dwarves are besties, shouldn't be killing each other.

And assigning a short-tempered dwarf to a job that trains beating things up and killing them might not be the best idea?

The anger makes them flail out with wild attacks and boosts damage & strength, discount martial stances i guess and fighting will keep them calm & content like they need to. Almost guaranteed to be angered when they are hurt too, just dont squad them up with people they dont like without high consoler & pacifier and it'll be ok.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 08:11:00 pm »

If you drown the dwarf, it can no longer start fistfights.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0