Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to sort different types of fuel in a stockpile? (solved)  (Read 1710 times)

Rusty_knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to sort different types of fuel in a stockpile? (solved)
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:03:26 am »

Maybe I'm missing something, but there's only "coal" under "Bars: other materials" in my stockpile, so coke gets put in the same pile as charcoal from where it happily gots taken to make some mugs/flasks/spikes etc.
What can I do to prevent that?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:00:04 am by Rusty_knight »
Crazy-ass weirdo beaver is my totem animal!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to sort different types of fuel in stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:53:09 am »

"Coke" and "charcoal" are equivalent for almost all intents and purposes (the sole difference is that elves don't get upset if you trade them coke). Why would you want to keep them separate?

But, to answer your question, you can link a "coal bars" stockpile to take from a wood furnace or smelter to only accumulate one type of fuel.

Rusty_knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to sort different types of fuel in stockpile?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:59:10 am »

"Coke" and "charcoal" are equivalent for almost all intents and purposes (the sole difference is that elves don't get upset if you trade them coke). Why would you want to keep them separate?

But, to answer your question, you can link a "coal bars" stockpile to take from a wood furnace or smelter to only accumulate one type of fuel.
Thanks for the idea, haven't played for years and didn't know that you can do that.
As for why separate them, the answer is simple: charcoal is made from wood which is a renewable resource, while the coke is made from non-renewable mineral coals. Also it's frustrating to see that all hoarded coke is gone when you were just going to make them steel bars.
Crazy-ass weirdo beaver is my totem animal!

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to sort different types of fuel in a stockpile? (solved)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:10:41 am »

Both charcoal and coke can be used to make steel, or at least thats what it says on the wiki.  That is what also makes sense in real life as they're both basically pure carbon, one was just prepared by living beings, the other was produced through natural processes.