Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can't milk horses  (Read 1502 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can't milk horses
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:00:30 pm »

self-explanatory, I have in a female horse, outside in her pasture, the farmer's workshop was outside and the bucket was persimmon wood
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: can't milk horses
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:52:35 pm »

This may sound condescending, but do you have a food stockpile and organizer? If so, I'm guessing the mare is still too young. Or maybe they need to give birth (though I doubt it).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:54:11 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:24:15 pm »

If you added the "Milk Creature" job to the farmer's workshop, and you have a dwarf with the Milker labor enabled, they should either milk the horse or you should get a job cancellation notice ("no creature to milk" or "no available bucket" or something).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:44:07 pm »

the horse is fully grown, and while I don't have a food stockpile just yet, my general stockpile is set to accept food, and yeah I got a cancellation message "no milk-able creature"
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 09:56:02 pm »

Is it possible they'd already milked her? Because animals can only be milked every so often. (No idea HOW often TBH, just that you can't just constantly milk them.)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 10:06:24 pm »

nah, never been milked before, could it be that the horse is too far away?
GENERATION 30:

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 10:17:40 am »

I would suggest checking if the milk labor is active (sometimes you make a dumb mistake and don't realize it) or move the farmer's workshop closer to the pasture.
make lots of buckets (the dwarves might be using them for something else or hauling them. stick a small bucket pile near the workshop)
if nothing works try milking other animals
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is it possible they'd already milked her? Because animals can only be milked every so often. (No idea HOW often TBH, just that you can't just constantly milk them.)
All milkable creatures currently have this tag set to 20000 ticks, which, at roughly 1200 ticks per day, means they all can be milked every 17 game days.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:31:59 am »

How the hell do you milk a kangaroo? Aren't the teats inside the pouch?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 11:01:04 am »

Yes, so you'd have to reach into the pouch to get at them (while avoiding getting your stomach getting ripped open by the claws on the female's (hind) legs). I assume the bucket would have to go inside as well. I don't think you should expect a high yield either...

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:09:23 pm »

Is the horse a pet?

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 04:32:21 pm »

nvm, tried it again later and it worked fine, don't know why it acted up before
GENERATION 30:

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:31:19 am »

Yes, so you'd have to reach into the pouch to get at them (while avoiding getting your stomach getting ripped open by the claws on the female's (hind) legs). I assume the bucket would have to go inside as well. I don't think you should expect a high yield either...

I'm sure the dwarf just crawls into the pouch. They're probably small enough.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 10:58:17 am »

I'm sure the dwarf just crawls into the pouch. They're probably small enough.
Only if it's a giant variety. Normal red kangaroos are something like 2 meters tall, but the kids aren't that big when they're finally kicked out. A gremlin should easily be able to crawl into a pouch, though (again, assuming there are no objections from the roo).