Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Balancing Acts: Nature  (Read 4820 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing Acts: Nature
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2017, 04:05:27 pm »

I do not believe that we get to choose negative traits for the other team. We are choosing to ourselves gain counterparts to the positive traits that they chose for themselves. Or at least that is my understanding.

Well nature is perceived as peaceful and hippies were largely presented as peaceful. Of course, nature(urgh, I prefer variations of "wild" myself) is not peaceful, but trees generally are, photosynthesis and all... doesn't stop them from practising death-by-habitat-destruction, or outright killing each other in some cases, even light is limited, but... Given a certain mindset dryads ought to be pretty content with keeping a grove healthy as a sort of herd mentality for their own tree rather than preserving the life of every sprout, they should be pretty peace-loving if a bit apathetic to the concerns of animals with short and boisterous lives. Throw in an interest in stories though and they would be inclined to talk and make friends. More civilised peoples could make friends with the trees to gain some measure of protection for them and theirs while in the forests. That in turn would create a familiarity with dryads which would make it awkward to clear-cut the forests, either murdering the dryads by killing their trees, or watching them go insane as their charges are killed in front of them and they are left in what they perceive as a barren wasteland where all their efforts to rebuild would surely be unmade...

Well, Hippies are sort of seen as an escape from warfare, which wilderness really isn't. War is lines of guns and artillery, nature is everyone scattered around a field with a knife and enough food and water to last a single day. Similar outcomes, but war is much less intimate and immediate(and often the result of two political factions in a field with knives and enough food and water to last a single day...). Also they are often seen as lacking in civilisation. Living in tents instead of proper houses, Smoking weed instead of proper tobacco, taking L.S.D. instead of proper alcohol, massed orgies instead of proper marriages, driving combis instead of proper yank tanks... they are obviously some sort of wild animal wearing a human pelt...  Meh, nonsense aside, you can imagine where the perception comes from...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2017, 10:15:41 pm »

I am not going to join the discord. If it has been mentioned that this is a dicord game with a forum presence, rather than a forum game with a discord presence, then I apologise for missing that detail.
+1
All these AR games have discord and they rely to heavily on that medium imho

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2017, 01:47:06 am »

I am still fully confounded why some of you have the mindset of nature = hippies = anything hippies represent. :v

There's...a lot more to nature than drugs and warfare. ._. Symbiosis, mutual reciprocating relationships between animals of different species to thrive and work together, a sense of communication that is not in spoken human language, and being the sole basis of understanding the physical laws alongside the rest of our living/non-living environment.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2017, 02:24:55 am »

Could I perhaps change the word hippie with peacenik? And for my own perspective, it is not so much linking hippies with nature, as linking them with a general attitude of casual openness. A group of people with a largely passive energy accumulation system could be very easy-going without being completely unaware. Predation would be something that they would have to deal with, but not so much a daily necessity. Thus they could probably be pretty apathetic about things and not form much of a unified front until things get really bad, and even then their relatively low-concentration society would leave many of them concerned but not openly hostile. Meanwhile some of them are granted a tree-animating spell to turn their tree into an ent. Probably a horrific violation but it would be worth it for the ones that had been witness to clear-cutting. So you have your militant side emerging from major incidents, but the general populace is still just nice people who live in the woods and are more interested in keeping their own little grove healthy and visiting the neighbours than worrying about what is going on in some far-away place that they are physically incapable of going to.

Also, technically speaking, hippies are completely part of nature. As are off-shore oil-rigs and space-shuttles...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:19 am »

It's more you're using jargon that has a more local meaning there. :P

Do we have a finalized idea of the wonder, 2 races, initial interactions with the First Humans, and our counter traits to our own...or their traits?
Where's our spokesman?
We are choosing to ourselves gain counterparts to the positive traits that they chose for themselves. Or at least that is my understanding.
Mass Production: Mass Production is the very heart of Industry, the ability to make goods of all shapes and forms efficiently and quickly, to such an extent that all other forms of production are outmoded. Where a great chef may create the best strudel the world has ever known, few will able to see it let alone taste it's flavours firsthand. Industry Will ensure that pastries of all kinds are easily available to all, and at a reasonable price.

Arete: Arete is excellence in all things. Be it craft, planning, discovery or lifestyle, arete is the ideal of being better through hard work and the sweat of one's brow. It involves knowing that one is imperfect and that one can be improved and refined, that the first drafting may not be good, but it's future copies can be made far better.
I've no idea if these are finalized since C2M only posted for us and not them.

Natural Foundations: Nature symbolizes the living aspects of reality--much like how the laws of physics become the framework of any invention. If there is any counterance to the forces of nature, the process should work in an understandable way specified to the phenomena intended. Inasmuch as nature inspires, it also becomes a major foundation of creation and progress.

Natural Disasters: While both Industry and Nature have concepts and ideas of their own; nothing can stop natural phenomena from occurring, as it affects what exists regardless of its origins. Those who embrace progress may lose their sense and connection with nature, and thus their abilities of forewarning to natural events waiting to happen; on the other hand, natural disasters are affected by the output of what is put back into nature, thus increasing its lethality and collateral damage overall for all involved. From CO2 spills and clouds, to earthquakes and typhoons, these are interconnected with the byproducts of both industry and nature, with the former having a greater effect on these natural phenomena.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2017, 10:28:38 am »

Inverse of Mass Production:
Bespoke Production - Whereas Industry produces countless numbers of identical items which are then applied regardless of suitability, Nature produces only what is needed, when it is needed, to fit the requirements of the situation exactly.

Arete seems like a very broad and generic trait, so it was difficult to come up with something that is actually an inverse:
Pristine - Whilst Industry must work to systematically improve itself before it's actions are deemed adequate, Nature has no such requirement. Anything it does, it does perfectly, first time and with no need to "refine" it's approach.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2017, 05:15:27 pm »

Quote from: Main Thread
Battle over the soul of First Men’s greatest pastry chef.
1st Arena: Quentin Auturo’s mind.
2nd Arena: Quentin’s friends and family. He has a mother, father, a brother and 2 sisters. Several friends. Please add details if you influence any of his friends or family :)
3rd Arena: The rest of the world.
Winner: History; determines why a city becomes the greatest city of the First Men. Also receives the Golden Strudel, a divine strudel that will allow to command one person for free (used once).
Loser: History; determines how that great city falls into ruin.   
Teams have someone post actions in this main thread. 24 hours after one team’s posts, I will be free to update the game, and if your team has not posted here the posting team will be unopposed and almost certainly win the battle.  In this turn I will probably not update until after Christmas so there is no rush.

We're fighting...over strudels. Oooooooookay then. Will come back and post some ideas later tonight. Or possibly not until after Christmas.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2017, 02:02:55 am »

Spoiler: Current Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current Scenario (click to show/hide)

Teams have someone post actions in this main thread. 24 hours after one team’s posts, I will be free to update the game, and if your team has not posted here the posting team will be unopposed and almost certainly win the battle.  In this turn I will probably not update until after Christmas so there is no rush.
Industry hasn't posted yet.

Nature's races were randomly picked (I had nothing picked from mine anyway :V).
Gnomes
Moonkin
And 2 traits picked and mentioned in the game--given meaning by the GM, and 2 other traits I have no idea where they came from even when we had choices. (Fitness/Craftsmanship) :-\ They seem derived from the choices given here though.

If we're going to go over the soul of a pastry chef, it's going to be without competition--because Industry and Nature have never battled directly to get over each other, only the circumstances the situations each provided, have given.

Since our biggest planning phase starts with Quentin's Mind, that is where our area and traits seem to factor in the most; how much we spend goes into Industry's point pool for the second arena:
2nd Arena: Quentin’s friends and family. He has a mother, father, a brother and 2 sisters. Several friends. Please add details if you influence any of his friends or family :)
Which we don't particularly mind anyway.

The 3rd arena is where we will shine, however. Because it means the rest of the world. So I thus propose:

1st arena: 8 points to be spent;
Focus: Quentin's mind, although driven initially by the passion of strudel, becomes a powerful force of thoughtfulness and creativity, with growing wholesome aspects not just for his work, but towards society therein. He becomes driven by thought and necessity, adding in the need for knowledge under the theme of understanding. He makes these points in his works, his food and culinary mastery becomes a cornerstone for others' learning, that he begins to refine and use the resources of the land and sea to the benefit of the people--all starting in thought, by understanding in tangible ideas what he is working with, and the long-term implications. He sees the importance of nature all around him, and this importance becomes the foundations of the importance of what he does and makes. He also notices the basic relationships of food and who needs the food--population counts and the impact on the environment; that the surroundings may only sustain so much, and that if ever anything greater should be done, sustenance and maintenance of the environment should be a primary focus.

Also he begins getting insight in magic, having been communicating with the other races and not just humans in all his deeds and everyday actions, and noticing the symbiosis/similarities, and mutual benefits, outweighing any historical bias written in mankind's lore.

Details: Quentin's thinking is superb, being both met with wisdom and insight, and while it is themed in the topics of food and pastries, the breadth of understanding also goes to how his ingredients are made and why they exist as is, including the need of learning how to better what already exists for future generations, as he becomes both self-aware, and actualized in knowing and giving terms to his emotions and needs, in a balanced way that gives no purchase or space for any wanton lusts or shortsighted notions. Quentin's insight grows by his exposure, as he has much time to dwell on his creations and actions; his crafts reflect more than just food, he combines it into a social phenomena in how he delivers and develops his works. He learns from people, noticing what could be better in society and adjusts to what he can most imfluence; he has thoughts that may dwell on food production and resource management and makes a very efficient process of worksmanship, with very little pollution as an aside. He learns to go past impulsiveness, adapting to the moment while seeing its implications in the future by what he is seeing in the present (because of a great memory). He has a certain resiliency, alongside a very powerful sympathy, that in spite of any disaster, that there will be hope; for both man and all other races, and while his niche will be in agriculture and food-making which even spreads outside to other fields (such as medicare and cultivation of herbs and other useful biological products, alongside noticing and knowing the effects they have on the living people [and environment]), his words will be a powerful force of reforms and knowledge, that even those in authority and politics will heed his ideas.

[Use: All 4 traits soundly apply well here]

Even if Industry has Arete, this is the mind, and the mind is paramount in degrees of quality instead of quantity.

2nd arena: 4 points;
Focus: Family is influenced to be a great force of support and encouragement, even if they may not be able to do much as Quentin does, they help cultivate a better social environment alongside being a very reliable support network.
Details: His family is supportive, and authoritative, noticing his potential (even if they may not know the extent of his actions), and trusting him with his deeds, but also adding to his wisdom and understanding by their actions. They help spread the word and aid in creating or influencing a social culture of openness--while the family is the basic social unit, it is an open one that is not limited to merely the family members but the local community. These messages of openness and thoughtfulness are repeated symbiotically as the family supports Quentin's works.

This seems more like a trait advantage for Industry, although our 'adaptation to the moment' is more 'in response to everything that guy does', alongside Craftsmanship and Fitness.

3rd arena: 8 points
The world enters an agricultural revolution, knowing and managing the importance of food and food distribution, alongside the importance of stopping (or lessening so much) pollution because it ruins food (even if it's not food for people, but food for others). This is thematically pronounced in the notion of focusing on necessities, focusing only on what is needed at the moment, but also refining what is present for a greater benefit to expand. At least, a symbiotic relationship will begin to exist between the sentient races and the environment, wherein nature guides and is guided by those that may cultivate them; awe is shared, and society develops a rather benevolent culture.

Also magical foodstuffs begin existing, like very fancy strudel, alongside cultural food techniques becoming a very important part and portion of localized characteristics.

Socially, a main point being noted is (probably, hopefully?) the importance of population and the potential of manpower.

My themes for all 3 arenas are: Competitiveness is useless. If the Industry team wants to peek into this thread or otherwise try to 'be better', by all means let that happen; I care foremost about the effects we DO on the planet and the world.
Also probably going to the point of overpopulation being a problem. I think that's best noticed in Quentin's mind before anything else.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:15:38 am by Tiruin »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2017, 11:09:23 am »

Ummm.....We get their points for NEXT TURN, not in the next arena.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2017, 11:13:10 am »

Ummm.....We get their points for NEXT TURN, not in the next arena.
Thanks >_<
Fun with indirect definitions. :-\ I misunderstood.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]