Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Human Civ Playable: Nobles Not Appointable Even After Added in Raws  (Read 1375 times)

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fairly new to this. I've been trying to make human civilizations playable, as I have a human adventurer who I'd like to retire in a safe place belonging to his own civilization. I was following a post from someone asking questions about how to do this, wherein it was mentioned that you have to manually add nobles to the human string in the "entity_default" file in order to have militaries, brokers, etc. I did this, or at least I think I did (copy pasted all of the nobility position info from the dwarves in entity_default onto the human's line, probably the bootleg way, but that's what I was told worked), but there still isn't an option to appoint nobles, even after creating a new fort. Something to note is the world has already been generated and played in prior to me modding it, so this may be why it's not working, but I'm not certain. What should I do to get this to work? Thanks in advance.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, that's why it's not working.
Your save contains a copy of all the raws. Editing those raws is required to affect your current world.

But quite a lot of raw editing mid-save doesn't work. I imagine altering the structure of society might be one of those things. Could be wrong though.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, that's why it's not working.
Your save contains a copy of all the raws. Editing those raws is required to affect your current world.

But quite a lot of raw editing mid-save doesn't work. I imagine altering the structure of society might be one of those things. Could be wrong though.

Hmmm... I would be inclined to agree if it didn't allow me to play as a human civilization to begin with, considering I was editing the exact same raw file. Should I maybe upload the entity_default raw so someone can take a look and see if I messed up in my insertion?

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New positions = new world.

Just adding [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] doesn't require making a new world, but positions and those occupying them are generated as part of worldgen. For positions to be recognized, they need to be there when the civ (and therefore the world) is generated.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New positions = new world.

Just adding [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] doesn't require making a new world, but positions and those occupying them are generated as part of worldgen. For positions to be recognized, they need to be there when the civ (and therefore the world) is generated.

As in having to edit the general raws, not the raws found in the world's folder? Because I attempted generating a new world while having the raws in "\Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\raw\objects" be the same as the world I was toying with, and hopefully creating new world that would allow to play as a human fortress, nobles and all, just to see if that's why I couldn't in my previous attempt. However, that time I couldn't even play as a human civ, though that might be because I didn't edit that into the world-side raws.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:12:50 pm by youngbab »

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, editing the general raws (Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\raw\objects).

So you added the tag and positions to the default human entity in your objects folder, started a new world, and couldn't play as humans?

That's weird. Maybe they died out. Are there any living human civs in the new world you generated?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Size & civ number settings? Sometimes civs are excluded or duplicate civs are chosen over others, try again until you get humans.

If you're playing on a custom world setting, humans will need somewhere with the right kind of biome to appear, and on extreme starts this may not be possible.

A copy paste of your human entity raws would be helpful in a [ code][/ code] format like this would help.

Code: [Select]
etc. etc.