Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Higher performance modifications and more diverse enemies mods  (Read 1117 times)

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Higher performance modifications and more diverse enemies mods
« on: October 08, 2017, 05:22:38 am »

Hey guys,

I'm coming back to Dwarf Fortress after a few years without playing and I'd like to ask a few questions, to enhance the game as I usually play it.

First things first : Is the wiki not really updated anymore ? I find many articles refer to DF2014, and I expect the last version to be mentioned as DF2016... no more wiki ?

Anyway, I usually mod out a few things so I can get/keep higher FPS, even with a full fortress.
I usually de-activate temperature and/or weather and lower the max number of dwarves (is it still 200?).
Are there other "minor" things I could de-activate/lower to make things smoother ? (other than embarking in a small area without a river)

Also, I usually find it sad that, normally, there are very few number of attacking/besieging factions/races (so I always end up attacking human/elvish caravans in the hopes they send sieges afterwards). Are there good more with other races, not too weird (no fliers, preferably), but different from the goblins/kobolds, that will add some sieges ?
(I mean, of course there are... but what is a good mod with 2-5 new races, so it's not overwhelming 12 new races, and not disapointing "goblins-but-blue, elves-but-purple" ?)

Also, I don't remember because It's a long time ago, and I usually didn't play with it :
How are water dynamics, now ?
If I plan to have a dam with a valve at the bottom that will open on sieging enemies, will it flow so fast that it will crush em, or will I be disappointed and should do it with lava ? :p

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Higher performance modifications and more diverse enemies mods
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 05:31:54 am »

Wiki is up to date (as far as wikis are ever up to date) they just changed the way it works.

Embark near populpus goblin sites or goblins won't come (you're not the centre of the world any more). Also bear in mind that:
a)small ambushes are mostly broken
b)full goblin sieges won't begin to target you until your population reaches 80.

Goblins might be busy with other wars and possibly all dead. Snatchers and kobold thieves seem to be working ok recently for minor amusement. Zombies don't care about siege triggers, so towers are good early fun.

New release is just a few weeks away. That increases the chances of being targeted through various mechanics.

Try Fortress Defence mod. It's modular as far as I recall, so you can add sets of new races as you like.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:44:14 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 06:26:57 am »

Hey guys,

I'm coming back to Dwarf Fortress after a few years without playing and I'd like to ask a few questions, to enhance the game as I usually play it.

First things first : Is the wiki not really updated anymore ? I find many articles refer to DF2014, and I expect the last version to be mentioned as DF2016... no more wiki ?

THe last major update was in 2014.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 06:54:46 am »

Hey guys,

THe last major update was in 2014.
What counts as major? Taverns only took 11 months (released Dec 2015) so isn't 'major'? Artifacts took 15, is it 'major'?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 08:07:27 am »

Save breaking.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 11:48:28 am »

You can save performance wise by simplifying your materials i.e accelerated/Modest Mod. I have no clue if there are any up to date however. It just makes all leather a few types instead of cow/llama  leather you will get leather, then usually things with higher quality get named something else like hard leather or something like that, been awhile... It done with wood and other things too.

For example but that is outdated now, I had done my own it's quite a pain to not mess anything up when you try to make bodies simpler.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 12:14:37 pm »

oh nice, I'll look it up, then :)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 01:04:41 pm »

If you really want to save performance, mod trees to not have leaves.  There might be a mod already that does that, I know people have talked about it for a long time. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.