Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Most Interesting Year of My Life [SI SG]: Log 3  (Read 886 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
The Most Interesting Year of My Life [SI SG]: Log 3
« on: December 24, 2017, 08:01:28 pm »

OOC: To celebrate my birthday, on which nothing bizarre happened, I've decided to test out a genre of game which I have never seen on Bay 12: the self insert journal. What if my life instead took a more interesting turn today? Together, we will create that story.

Inspirations:
ChronoMouse, by Tomasque.
Various random generator games.
Various journal SI fics on other forums.
~~~
Log 1:

I've written several self inserts for fun. Never did I think that it would actually happen to me. I'm in a cubic room made of a pure white substance. Oddly, I can still see even though there is no discernible light source. There are no discernible entrances or exits.

After giving it some thought, I've decided that I'm not hallucinating or dreaming. My dreams are never so vivid, and I don't think a hallucination would be so static.

Of note is the fact that my watch has been replaced with something a bit more interesting: A sleek black armband with a touchscreen. Tapping the screen has revealed three applications: "Dimensional Journey", "Memory Jaunt", and "Communication Journal". Each of the apps has included no manual that I can see. Still, the apps themselves give some clue of their function. Dimensional Journey shows a grid of one hundred squares, each numbered from 001 to 100. Most of the squares are white apart from the numbers, but a diagonal of them going from the 001 corner to the 100 corner are purple, with the exception of the 100 corner, which is gold. Based on the app's title and the grid, it may be meant to enable dimensional travel.

If I'm right, I'm now a multiversal traveller. This is going to be a pain.

Memory Jaunt shows an analog clock, without any hands. This is the most confusing of the three apps.

Communication Journal opens an interface suspiciously similar to the Bay 12 forums, on which I am now writing.

In this case, I'm hoping that I'm right. I've read self-insert fiction on Spacebattles formatted like a journal, with the author able to communicate with the forum in order to receive advice. If I'm right, I'm communicating with Bay 12 and you guys should be able to respond to me. I may be a loner, but I'm fairly sure even I would go mad without human contact.

Please tell me I'm right. If I'm not...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:18:54 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Interesting Year of My Life [SI SG]
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 11:22:22 pm »

ERROR: Message unable to be sent. Please replace your multidimensional transmitter and try again. If problems persist, contact Multiversal Address 010.15.011.09.14.007.0 for purchasing new transmitter.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Custom Critical

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 02:37:46 pm »

ERROR: Message unable to be sent. Please replace your multidimensional transmitter and try again. If problems persist, contact Multiversal Address 010.15.011.09.14.007.0 for purchasing new transmitter.

+1 this because this SG needs to happen!
Self-Improvement Junkie | "Practice without improvement is meaningless."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 05:05:45 pm »

Log 2:

Well, that's interesting.

A few minutes(or so, it's not like I have a way to keep track of time) after I submitted the first log to the Communication Journal, I got responses. It seems like my hunch was correct... to some extent.

Two responses from OceanSoul and Custom Critical. This would appear to confirm my hunch that the Communication Journal connects to Bay 12, based off OceanSoul's username. I don't recall ever seeing OceanSoul's username anywhere else.

What worries me is the content of the responses. An error message is hardly encouraging, although it does hint at deeper depths to my situation. Unless OceanSoul's just messing with me.

On the other hand, Custom Critical's message isn't an error message. This suggests that I can in fact communicate with Bay 12, though exactly how well this communication works, I'm not yet sure. Even if it only works some of the time, though, it should be helpful to have people to receive advice from.

Speaking of which, the white walls of the room I'm in are turning grey. This would be much less worrying if my armband wasn't flashing red and displaying "Micro-dimension unstable. Estimate collapse in one to three hours."

It looks like my journey is beginning whether I want it to or not.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Interesting Year of My Life [SI SG]: Log 2
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 05:27:55 pm »

MESSAGE INCOMING FROM THE ALTERNATE PLANE OF EXISTENCE:

While it's always cute to see something like you and try to act clueless, you know where you are, it's only on the inside that you will find it.

I'm paid to state these pointless riddles, okay? Give a entity from an alternate dimension some slack, we have to actually work for a living.

Anyways here's some advice to your style
of writing...

Please never say "white substance" or anything that... innuendoes again. As an alternate dimensional being, do you know how horrifying it is read a statement like that and not lose moral points by 6.75%, no you would never understand. Please in the future be more...  thoughtful with things that can be offensive to alternate dimensional entities.

Please in the future...

MESSAGE TERMINATED FROM UNKNOWN SOURCE

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Interesting Year of My Life [SI SG]: Log 2
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:18:48 pm »

Log 3:

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm going to get useful communication from this app. At this point, I'm a bit less sure if I actually connected to Bay 12. It's entirely possible that I'm being communicated with by... entities... using Bay 12 usernames as nom de plumes.

As to why I called the room's material "white substance": it's white(or at least it was white), and I have no idea what it's made of. When I tapped it, it proved to be solid, but that doesn't really tell me anything about what it is. Oh well. It's not important. If you have a better name for it, feel free to tell me.

I'll give your riddle some thought.

After I escape this "collapsing micro-dimension", anyway.

I'm going to use the Dimensional Journey app. OceanSoul's curious error message echoes the format of the 100 square grid in that some parts of it are in the three-digit form. I'm going to tap the 010 square.

Wish me luck. Or better yet, pray for me. Hopefully, if Dimensional Journey does allow access to alternate universes, none of them will have laws of physics hostile to the existence of life. It doesn't seem too likely, though. If I could die instantly by using the app, what would be the point of me having access to it? My bet is that someone or something gave me this armband for their own amusement, and dying instantly wouldn't be entertaining. It's not like I have proof... but maybe I'll find some. If I survive.