Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Information extraction - just how many trolls did you say you had?  (Read 770 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As interrogation of prisoners is up in the list of pre-mythgen possible additions, I'll put this up here. It's something I've seen mentioned in the forums a few times.

Besides artifact and general treasure information, it would be very helpful, before sending out a raid, to get specific information from your prisoners on what "pets" a site has.

There's a sight gap between "population 14" and,
"We are tiny group of just 14 goblins. All we wish for is peace to tend to our herds of 3000 trolls, 400 ogres and 6 cave dragons. We are lead by a monstrous ass..."

This could be added to the general description of each site alongside the civilized population. Maybe notes on any resident legendary warriors too.

What other info would be useful?
And should fake information be introduced at this stage for those who can withstand the onslaught of beard tickling that dwarven questioning surely consists of?

JezaGaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Information extraction - just how many trolls did you say you had?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 03:42:16 pm »

I couldn't agree more, it's a pain having to :
Save
Backup the save
Relaunch the game
Retire the fort
Export legends
Switch back to the backup save
Relaunch the game

Every time I plan on going on a raid.

Well to be fair there is DFhack openlegends but still I shouldn't need to check for precise information outside of the game when I have a screen that should provide it already :p

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:13:07 pm »

I couldn't agree more, it's a pain having to :
Save
Backup the save
Relaunch the game
Retire the fort
Export legends
Switch back to the backup save
Relaunch the game

Every time I plan on going on a raid.

Well to be fair there is DFhack openlegends but still I shouldn't need to check for precise information outside of the game when I have a screen that should provide it already :p
I wouldn't want it provided automatically though. Spies, interrogation, rumors are all fine. Exact figures from day one would be boring.

JezaGaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 06:34:12 pm »

Agreed, but then when you see that 10 as population for a goblin pit it should add that it's an approximation  so you know to try and gather more intel.

After all at the beginning of your fort your civ has already been active and might already have that information so you need a way to know what is know fact from information your civ already gathered, what is information you got from rumors and how credible that rumor is and what is just approximation/estimations.