Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WARNING for CCleaner users  (Read 2507 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WARNING for CCleaner users
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 05:56:42 am »

I'm just trying to demonstrate that CCleaner only really does everything you can do yourself if you're bothered, but in a different format...

Yeah ... but it's still useful to have tools so that you don't need to go in and fuck with stuff manually all the time. Other than the fact that a hacker got into their system that one time I've never had issues with ccleaner (though I also didn't get infected so I'm not that worried).

registry cleaning (e.g. finding and deleting orphan keys) is one example of something cleaner apps do that you theoretically could do manually, but in practice you can't without a tool.

There's also the fact that for 99.9999% of people, running automated cleaning now and then is going to be safer than trying to manually clear out crud. You're guaranteed to make a mistake at some point, and whoever is developing a cleaning app are experts at knowing what you should delete and what you shouldn't, taking most of the risks of fine-tuning out. What's better, trust everyone to become experts at registry editing, or have tools that do the most common tasks? I'd prefer to have a tool for that even if I know that with a little extra effort I can diy it.

tl;dr - encouraging people to go and do random registry hacking to solve problems instead of using tools designed for the job is perhaps not be the best advice to be giving out.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:17:37 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 [2]