Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: Incredibly Powerful Blades/Edged Weapons  (Read 809 times)

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question: Incredibly Powerful Blades/Edged Weapons
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:23:47 pm »

Hey, so I've been wondering- is it possible to make a weapon that will reliably cut straight through an enemy (or at least an average human enemy) with each blow? I've been messing with the raws fairly extensively, but can never seem to get it quite right, which is making me wonder if it's doable at all. For reference, I'm talking about something akin to the monomolecular wire used by the Yakuza Assassin in the William Gibson short story Johnny Mnemonic:

"Playback on full recall shows Ralfi stepping forward as the little tech sidles out of nowhere, smiling. Just a suggestion of a bow, and his left thumb falls of. It'a a conjuring trick. The thumb hangs suspended. Mirrors? Wires? And Ralfi stops, his back to us, dark crescents of sweat under the armpits of his pale summer suit. He knows. He must have known. And then the joke-shop thumbtip, heavy as lead, arcs out in a lighting yo-yo trick, and the invisible thread connecting it to the killer's hand passes laterally through Ralfi's skull, just above his eyebrows, whips up, and descends, slicing the pearshaped torso diagonally from shoulder to rib cage. Cuts so fine that no blood flows until synapses misfire and the first tremors surrender the body to gravity.

Ralfi tumbled apart in a pink cloud of fluids, the three mismatched section rolling forward on the tiled pavement. In total silence.
"

I've tried everything- varying contact areas, extremely high penetration values, all sorts of velocity modifiers, a variety of materials... Nothing seems to get the desired effect. Any advice would be much appreciated.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Incredibly Powerful Blades/Edged Weapons
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:54:07 pm »

Yeah, I tried. Edgy slade swords with an absurdly high velocity. Still bisects on like, 3 shots. But it can delimb.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 12:37:59 am »

In general, material values tend to be the biggest factor in armor penetration. I suppose the easiest way to do what you are looking for is to have a custom reaction that creates your weapon out of adamanine or an Adamanine like material.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 04:08:38 pm »

Try some 200 surface area, and as much penetration depth and velocity as you can get (I don't know at which point that number overflows). Increasing the size of the weapon also helps give it more momentum.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!