Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Bay12 Peers Hivemind  (Read 1526 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Peers Hivemind
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 02:48:11 pm »

I got one.

When should you as an adult try to take over legal responsibility for a parent?

What's the break point? When they're functional but unwilling to take care of themselves to the degree they should? When they've completely lost their minds? Struggling with the decision right now with my mom because she's mentally competent but she's living in a way that she'll be unable to care for herself soon, and it doesn't look like she's going to change her attitude. There's a good chance she'll just keep sliding further down the mental and physical tubes, faster than simply being old, because she's not taking care of herself or doing basic things like cleaning up after herself, walking to the degree she's strong enough to go more than 50 feet without becoming exhausted, etc.....

I'd rather not wait until she's a complete wreck before I take action....but I don't want to take her independence from her either because she's a proud woman who is very protective of her right to be left alone, and I kinda don't want to give up hope she can turn things around for herself.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:07:47 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 06:12:23 pm »

Take her on a sightseeing tour to check out the various elderly care homes in the vicinity. If that does not spook her into becoming more active, it might be time.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 07:08:35 pm »

She's already been in one, did rehab there after a stay in the hospital. Said she liked it, had nice people. She put her own parents in a nursing home when their time came, too. When we're like "do you want to end up shuffling around a nursing home on a walker at the age of 70?" she just kinda says nothing.

Sorry, this is probably better in Life Advice than Debbie Downering this thread. But I figured I'd let the hivemind take a crack at it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2]