Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarf immigrants wont move from the edge of the map help!  (Read 1551 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
My dwarf immigrants wont move from the edge of the map help!
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:20:15 pm »

Just as it sounds.I get immigrants they just sit at the edge of the map doing nothing.They don't come to my fort they just sit there even  go to the borrows I made them.HELP!!!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarf immigrants wont move from the edge of the map help!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:23:45 pm »

I had this issue once. Basically they all came and sat at the edge of the map. This worried me because I was in an evil region and I didn't want them to be caught out in the next evil rain, so I made a burrow for them and set the burrow to alert. They went inside to the burrow, and that was that.

So I see you're new to the forum, so I need to ask: are you new to the game as well? And if so, have you ever gotten all your dwarves to head to the same burrow?

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:25:40 pm »

I tried the borrow thing already it wont work!!!!

kelid190

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 08:31:55 pm »

I've had various people hang out at the edge of the map if they can't path inside.  Once, it was because there were a bunch of trees in the way, even though my fortress gate was open.  I think I may also have had trouble when they could get inside, but they couldn't get to their particular burrow.

Are you the immigrants have a path?

I think I may also have had people wait at the edge for a few moments occasionally before, but definitely not more than an in-game day or two, it's some little delay when they first arrive sometimes to get their bearings or something.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:08:32 pm »

Tip: they will go to your meeting area.

So either that or you have a tavern.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 09:50:51 pm »

What are the jobs of these immigrants?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:09:23 pm »

I tried the borrow thing already it wont work!!!!

What DerpyDev meant was not to assign the dwarves individually to the burrow, but rather set a civilian alert using that burrow.

So go to the alerts screen using m-a, create a new alert, assign the burrow to the alert, and press "enter" when the alert is selected to assign it as civilian alert.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 11:16:14 pm »

...also, I hate to rain on your grammar nazi free parade, but it's burrow, not borrow.

...I'll see myself out now, okay bye.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 03:07:35 am »

A burrow will not cause anyone to go to them by itself: they need a reason to go there, or else will either stay put or start/continue with need satisfaction activities.
In your case, this means: make sure your meeting place, which preferably is a tavern, is inside the burrow, or the burrowed migrants won't budge. Their first "task" is to head to a meeting area, and if none is reachable they have no reason to move at all (unless scared/attacked). Obviously, the other advice about making sure there is a path from the migrants to the meeting place/burrow exists.

If you're new to DF you should probably check and double check that any burrow you've set up is set up correctly, as there are lots of ways to make mistakes (e.g. creating a burrow for a civilian alert, associating it with a new civilian alert, and then fail to activate the civilian alert). Also, if you don't have a meeting area, create one and they still don't move despite there being a path (check the path by stationing a military squad by the migrants: if the squad can get there, the migrants can go the other way), and try to remove the burrow to ensure that hasn't somehow been set up incorrectly, as the meeting area should be a sufficient attractor in itself.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 10:14:05 am »

Fixed thanks!