Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hot Underground?  (Read 1352 times)

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
Hot Underground?
« on: September 26, 2017, 08:40:19 am »

Okay, so I found a gorgeous starting location, but had a little trouble getting it started. As one of the biomes is particularly hot, the rain scalded my first band of dwarves to death, so I had to turn off weather and start again. Then my volcano decided to erupt (well, not exactly erupt, but the lava column raised above the lip of the volcano, so it was basically an eruption) and my dwarves were forced to abandon the site in the hopes that when the next band returned, the volcano would have calmed down. Fortunately it did, and now I've established a pretty solid little fortress that's doing quite well for itself.

However, I do have a bit of a problem - every area within the scorching biome is marked as hot when I attempt to designate meeting areas, and my dwarves tend to try to avoid being in hot areas unless their task calls for it. This includes areas underground, which confuses me. I thought that underground temperatures tended to be independent of above-ground temperatures, but this does not seem to be the case on my map. Does this have something to do with reclaiming the fortress or turning off weather, perhaps?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Underground?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:10:46 am »

I thought that bug with dwarf-melting rain was fixed many-many versions ago. It wasn't?
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:11:05 am »

If it's warm enough creatures are killed by scalding rain, currently. I'm not aware of any attempt to fix it, though.

Turning off temperature can cause temperature not to return to normal (as it's not recalculated). It's possible to embark in locations that are lethal when it's raining by getting underground before it starts to rain (and there are methods to recover the embark wagon without exposing the dorfs to the outside). I don't know what turning off weather does, however, but I'd try to turn it back on now that your dorfs are (reasonably) safe underground.

Temperature underground should always be relatively cool (too cold for my liking...), provided it's actually underground (putting up a roof does not count: the tile has to never have been exposed to the sky to retain the underground attribute) and it's not adjacent to magma (when digging that results in a warning about "hot stone").

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:55:07 pm »

Well, my fortress is progressing. I am still seeing an indicator that the area is hot underground regardless of whether weather or temperature is on or off.My play style involves too many dwarves being outside and it seems like it's always raining, so it's best just to leave weather off.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:35:25 am »

Subterranean/dark areas should always be a comfortable temperature. Its possible for the surface to be so hot or so cold that its lethal, but so long as a tile has never been exposed to the surface it should be okay.

The exception to this is of course magma. That can heat things up a lot underground, but assuming you didn't have a plumbing mishap underground tiles should always be safe.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 02:04:35 pm »

Yeah, that's why I find this to be so weird. It might just be a bug with the Hot indicator. And, apart from boiling rain, I haven't noticed any particular dangers to my dwarves from being in a hot climate.