Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarfs killed my baron and another 40 dwarfs for fun?  (Read 751 times)

Riky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
My dwarfs killed my baron and another 40 dwarfs for fun?
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:06:08 pm »

I am EXTREMELY confused right now and  speechless of what just happened.
Here I am with about 6 years old  fortress (about 15 hrs of real time?) with 4 fully steel armored badass trained squads armored with steel warhammers, strong economy and gigantic moated fortress, ready for those filthy goblins.
Suddenly my military started to literally slaughter civilians and even children (poor souls). The entire meeting hall and tavern is covered in blood and bones, as well as dead civilians and even a couple of visitors. It lasted just about a couple of minutes but it was enough to brutally kill third of my population and my baron!
Since I still have no idea what happened, I carefully looked at my logs and turns out that the show started a carpenter (who was armored in iron for some reason) and baron, the last one was killed with one bash and a single contact between his skull and a warhammer.
So, do u guys have any clues of what was in a head of the carpenter when he decided to kill his baron? I have no idea.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:20:54 pm by Riky »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarfs killed my baron and another 40 dwarfs for fun?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 04:28:23 pm »

This sounds like a drunken brawl escalated into a loyalty cascade, although I can't quite be sure. In the latest version, dwarves can get pretty ornery with each other, especially when heavily intoxicated and sometimes come to blows. Its usually over after a few harmless punches, but sometimes things get ridiculously out of hand for no apparent reason.

The moral of this story is that taverns are pretty deadly.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheCrazyHamsteR

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 04:38:16 pm »

Loyalty cascades can also be triggered when you order your military to kill dwarven merchants, the liaison, or visitors from dwarven civs.
Any soldier that has killed other dwarves becomes the enemy of his own civ, and civilians start attacking him on sight and getting harsh beating in return.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 05:17:53 pm »

And you don't actually need to involve alcohol for dorfs to fight. Some of them like to fight, and some of them like to argue. When a fight accidentally turns deadly those nearby have a tendency to quickly take sides to punish the murderer/defend their assaulted kinsman respectively. It doesn't turn into a loyalty cascade every time, though.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 06:51:21 am »

The key to loyalty cascades is to lock the doors and let them duke it out.  Anybody who sees the conflict has a chance to get embroiled in it.  Anybody in a loyalty cascade has a pretty good chance of dying (usually of the dwarfs fighting only a few survive if any).  So whatever it takes, you have to contain it.  Basically treat it as a deadly disease and quarantine anybody involved.    If it breaks out in your tavern, then it means that pretty much everyone in the tavern is dead, but if you lock the door, nobody else has to die.