Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Calendar speed effects? [DFHack timestream]  (Read 2186 times)

Nargorth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Calendar speed effects? [DFHack timestream]
« on: September 04, 2017, 01:11:07 am »

Hello, I'm planning to play longer game with more thought and planning [aboveground castle/fort in quite safe location, with bigger military; played few 5-8 years old forts so I feel kind of ready], and with slower farming and longer seasons. Ive found that you can indeed do this with DFHack timestream plugin/script/something made of code. Everything is working nice, no bugs found in test playthrough. Game speed isnt affected so all actions are more efficient 'per season' but equally efficient in terms of food/drink/rest per work done.

Which areas/actions exactly are influenced by calendar speed, and how dwarven/animal age corresponds to passing calendar time? Lenght of plants' growing cycle, traders, sieges and military schedules are affected. And workshop daily/monthly etc. task checks. What about animal growth and maturing, animal products like milk/wool/egg laying, tree regrowth, injury healing time? Item wear?

Not sure which of these are tied to calendar's, and which to game's speed.

EDIT: okay, I'm quite sure that all material emissions, pregnancies and wool growth are game speed dependant, but, not sure.
It seems that ONLY plant growth, seasonal changes in game like wild plant growing/withering on map; traders coming/departing and immigration are affected. And workshop checks. In other words, I have to make wool growth slower in raws to make it "season-dependant". Pregnancy time can't be modded, right? Same, time between pregnancies, dwarven or animal, do not exist and cant be introduced, i guess...? Its not that important, but would be nice.

Also, setting timestream to huge values [20x and more] causes weird bugs, as expected: dwarves dont taking any jobs regardless of place, distance and profession settings; 200+ wild animals on map which start to fight from overcrowding on the edges.

It would be nice if someone more experienced could confirm/deny this  ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:26:31 am by Nargorth »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Calendar speed effects? [DFHack timestream]
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 10:37:08 am »

It might be worth asking/looking in masterwork forum (as a MW community fort has been only one I've seen this applied to before). It's a .lua file, so you can also directly read it - brief glance seems like it modifies df.global .cur_year_tick and .cur_season_tick by calling a function every step.

Nargorth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:05:39 am »

Hey, thanks for suggestion. Masterwork subforum, after searching for few keywords/combinations suggests that calendar speed affects all plant/crop/tree growth, seasonal effects, weather and miasma spread.
After some search i'm almost sure that other gameplay aspects depend only on game speed, so few changes in crops and animal raws could be done -- for wool at least.

From code it looks like it controls, indeed, seasonal and year 'tick' and makes season change happen in correct time window; these are tied to merchants and sieges then.

Will do some tests in free time later in week to confirm this.

LordPinkerton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 01:18:22 am »

I tested it myself. Timestream only affects the calendar. Everything else is based off of cpu ticks, so crops will still grow in the number of cpu ticks they are intended, so slowing down time will allow more yields each season. However, when you can plant is still restricted based off of the date, meaning the game prevents planting certain crops if it's too late in the current season based on calendar date. Migrant cycles are assigned at the beginning of the season, so these are fixed on date. Things like hunger, thirst, etc, will be unaffected, like crop growing, by Timestream, so you'll be eating more per year if you slow down time. I can confirm things many jobs begin to go wonky if you slow down the game to anything less than 10% original speed. Units tend to idle more and relocate to a meeting spot after every task for long while. I haven't tested the long-long term effects, but I ran a game for 3 years at 20% with no noticeable problems.

Nargorth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 01:25:27 am »

Did some testing on timestream 0.25, about one and half in-game year. If these are important factors, I did it on "Modified Masterwork V1.29 (43.05)" [which is wonderful! so many options! so many mods incorporated! many readmes to read!] with default options changed:
*no standarization of materials
*no slower plant growth/learning -- but I edited raws manually to have 40% learning rate and customised GROWDUR(s)
*decaying food/clothes/corpses
*some mod/random creatures turned on/off

@Lord Pinkerton
I agree to all except plants. A plant set to GROWDUR:1100 in raws still gives me one crop per season[and few days]. I'm not sure if Masterwork modifications explain this, but, i dont think so. Thank you for info about no visible complications after 3 years -- guess it means it will be stable for longer time cause that long time chunks are not used in calculations, probably its all about one current year. Ah hope.

All other effect are indeed, CPU-tick based. And even on 25% cal. speed units tend to have ~1-2 sec [on 100FPS] period when they idle/go to meeting hall, then run to do next job.
Animals reproduce fast, and reach childcap quickly. Forgot to check dwarves age, but animal with CHILD:1 did not mature in 2 seasons, so i guess its too calender related. Not sure about this.
Animal milking seems to have problems with timing. Dwarves haul empty bucket and animal to workshop, "milk" it and dont produce milk. This may be due to some Masterwork raw changes? Tried only with Wooly Mountain Goats and Cragtooth Boars from Deeper Dwarven Domestication. Anyway, going to start in 2-3 weeks when time will allow.