Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Item storage in the beginning?  (Read 1883 times)

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Item storage in the beginning?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 11:22:56 am »

It's only a few days to get it secure in the first dirt layer. Move it later if you like.

1. Deconstruct the wagon.
2. Channel the 5x5 where all the goods are.
3. Draw a food (at least -- no refuse!) stockpile under the goods.
4. Roof it over.

If you channel out all around the wagon first, the goods will only take a 3x3, but it's a little slower since you have to build a floor after deconstruction to avoid the cave-in. With a little thought, you can leave a single orthogonal tile unchannelled until after wagon deconstruction, channel everything down, and paint it to be your first 3x3 QSP with a few dozen items already QSPed.

Only takes a few days, even if you are simultaneously setting up underground farming and assembling your screw pump on the second or third day. But with only seven dwarves, you kind of have to put off the poultry industry for a few days.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 12:43:13 pm »

If you swap the 3 and 2, you don't need 4.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 01:20:23 pm »

How do keep, say, keas from grabbing stuff if it's open to the sky? Or *weather* causing problems for dwarves getting things from the pile?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:48 pm »

If you swap the 3 and 2, you don't need 4 because the natural floor remains present.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 02:07:11 pm »

I'm not following you. I can't find a way to designate a tile for channeling if there's a stockpile on it. And if it's already designated for channeling, I can't figure out how to paint a stockpile on it. IOW, I don't know how to meaningfully swap 3 and 2.

Does what you are describing result in the embark goods being on the z-level below where the wagon was? If so, could you give a few more details?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 02:13:09 pm »

Yep. This is one of the times where you can use ramps where channel designations wouldn't work; use them in lieu of channels. (Hm, maybe I was too sparse with words.)

If you designate and dig a ramp below an item on a building (like a stockpile), the item goes through the floor to fall on the ramp while the floor remains intact.

Mostly useful for minecart tracks, but it's neat way to get goods inside (used in in Moonhome, in spite of the incessant ocean waves - doing 2 then 3 would have resulted in flooded pit, after all.).

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 02:36:44 pm »

That's slick! Glitch, I'm guessing.

I'll have to rethink things a bit. Are there similar methods for converting that level to "above ground"?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 06:43:50 pm »

No. Though I know that unlike with constructed floors, a surface area channeled out under obsidian/ice-cast floors/walls remains subterranean.
Pages: 1 [2]