Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Forge "Blocked"  (Read 2249 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Forge "Blocked"
« on: September 15, 2017, 04:58:50 pm »

I'm sure this is a noob question, but why is it telling me that I'm "blocked" from creating this magma forge ? (Same with magma smelter)

Any help appreciated.

This is directly under that room..

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Forge "Blocked"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 05:42:57 pm »

I'm not sure what you're doing, but the center tile of a magma forge must be a floor and none of the 8 edge tiles can be a wall or fortification for it to be placed.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 06:01:10 pm »

I'm not doing anything funky that I know of. You can see where I've floored in the spots and the immovable tiles on the forge match up.

I cannot work out why it's not working for the life of me.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:43:43 pm »

Is that constructed floor or smoothed floor? It shouldn't be an issue, but sometimes buildings won't want to build on top of constructed flooring.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 09:13:41 pm »

It's ok, I'm a dumbass. I thought a magma forge was just a normal forge over magma..... didn't see the special building there. Sorry.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:17:07 pm by thefinn »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 03:43:20 am »

In case you haven't found out: Magma workshops need to have one of its tiles with direct access to magma, i.e. no floor (although a floor grate is OK) to provide it with power. Typically the workshop is placed such that this tile is directly under one of the impassable workshop tiles, as that reduces the risk of workplace accidents.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 05:39:34 am »

i.e. no floor (although a floor grate is OK)
Hm, did you find a way to overlap buildings?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:58 am »

i.e. no floor (although a floor grate is OK)
Hm, did you find a way to overlap buildings?
Hm, do I confuse things? I certainly build a bunch of floor grates down there, but when I think about it it's definitely for magma mine cart loading stations and magma pump stacks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:33:25 am »

Well, normally if you try to place a building over another building, it says "Building present". Otherwise I'd have qsps dump right in the middle of workshops.

Floor grates are useful for the things you describe, yes, so I guess that's it.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:08:24 pm »

Hmm, I'm certain that magma forges/smelters/furnaces can be built on constructed floors, as I did exactly that with a volcano once.  I floored the entire caldera, leaving holes for the furnaces/smelters/forges, which were built upon the constructed floors quite well.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 08:13:48 am »

Hmm, I'm certain that magma forges/smelters/furnaces can be built on constructed floors, as I did exactly that with a volcano once.  I floored the entire caldera, leaving holes for the furnaces/smelters/forges, which were built upon the constructed floors quite well.

Read the previous replies again - thefinn was trying to build a metalsmith's forge (which must have all 9 tiles supported) rather than a magma forge (which can have any of its outer tiles hanging over magma).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 09:05:14 am »

Read the previous replies again - thefinn was trying to build a metalsmith's forge (which must have all 9 tiles supported) rather than a magma forge (which can have any of its outer tiles hanging over magma).

Indeed.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 08:05:12 am »

I'm well aware of this.  I was responding to Fleeting Frames stating- where was it?  I read something to the effect of "can't put buildings on constructed floors".  Can't be bothered to find it now, too tired.  Maybe they were talking about putting buildings on grates.  In any case, you can put buildings on constructed floors(but not on paved roads, as I found out today).
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 08:29:31 am »

It was here, in this thread, regarding grates. Constructions are different from buildings. The one about constructed floors was FortunaDraken here, as fourth post in this thread. (Trivial info: This post is the 13th reply in this thread.)

Might best to sleep; I recommend stone floors over insomnia.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:31:32 am by Fleeting Frames »

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 08:55:02 am »

Yeah, the constructed floor was me. For some reason, I've had workshops occasionally just not want to build on constructed floors until I deconstruct and replace them. But this was a different case.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.