Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with magma  (Read 1399 times)

Shweebish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problems with magma
« on: September 15, 2017, 06:30:17 am »

When I channel a hole over 5/7 magma, it bubbles out into 1/7 puddles around the hole, cannot build forges or anything around them.  I cant find anything else that discusses this problem. Even with a grate, it bubbles out. How do I stop the spillage?

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with magma
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 07:26:23 am »

You only need 1 tile with 4/7 magma for powered a furnace, I put the impassible tile of the workshop over the hole, so nobody fall in the hole.

I load magma in 2 nickel minecarts (2/7 magma each), and put in a Track Stop dumping to a 1x1 hole. The workshop need 4/7 magma, but don't consume magma, 4/7 is enough for the rest of your fortress.

╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:38:20 am »

I suspect you've built your facility on a magma pipe 48*48 mid level tile. In those tiles new magma is generated at the magma pool top level or the highest level with direct downwards "visibility" of SMR (whichever is lower), and my experience causes me to suspect this "rain" can occasionally flow sideways to fall on surrounding tiles without SMR visibility. This "rain" stops when the top level is 7/7 at the magma pool top level, and resumes when the pool is drained (or when you expose air at a lower level to the SMR).

If my guess is correct, I'd recommend building a floor over the hole and make another one outside of that mid level tile, Furthermore, I'd recommend not having a hole directly down to the magma sea, as critters can get out from it if you do.
Instead, I typically dig a tunnel at the level of the top of the magma sea horizontally up to, but not through, the sea. I'd then clear out a workshop area on the level above with holes down to this tunnel for each workshop, a magma safe drawbridge airlock at the end of the tunnel (by the sea), and when done (and the drawbridge levers have been tested), channel away the last tile between the tunnel and the sea from above, causing the magma to flow into the tunnel. Immediately build a wall or floor to block the breach caused on the workshop level. Once the tunnel is full of magma (or at least has at least 5/7 magma in it), close the airlock to secure the workshop area from incursions from below. Note that the holes in the roof of the tunnel cannot rain magma, because the bottom of the tunnel is ordinary rock, not the SMR.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 07:38:54 am »

Strange problem, OP. You describe something obviously not filling up with pressure (which only really happens with pumped-into-U-bends magma, not natural flow unless it's changed without me noticing) that is yet somehow fountaining out.

Screenshots/diagrams might help.

(Luriant is correct, as far as it goes, but I don't think that is your problem answered. Unless I misread.)

((Ninjaed by Patrik, maybe.))

(((Yes, that 'rain' solution sounds right. I tend to side-tap the top level of magma, myself, not quite as just described, so have never had such rain.)))
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:42:00 am by Starver »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 02:43:01 pm »

I've had to deal with rain when engaged in magma sea draining (only done that once, though) and occasionally during magma sea candy mining.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 03:54:40 pm »

Sounds like perhaps the boulder is falling into the magma, splashing some out? Magma does not behave that way normally.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 04:28:41 pm »

Nah, that is just magma mist. What OP describes is magma rain, which is how, say, volcanoes refill.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 05:10:51 pm »

Unless he's building inside a volcano caldera, I can't figure out why it's doing that. Magma simply does not apply natural pressure to itself like water does.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:23:34 pm »

There's standard magma mechanics and there's funky magma mechanics. Which usually happens when reclaiming, weird shit happens.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 02:52:25 am »

A magma pipe is essentially a volcano that doesn't reach all the way to the surface. And as I said, the rain property exists throughout the mid level tile, not only within the magma/volcano pipe itself. This usually doesn't matter as you've got rock between yourself and the SMR, but when you poke holes in to rock so your workshop gets exposed to the SMR it'll rain over the holes of the workshop is within a rain tile (provided you're not so high up that you're above the pipe/volcano top magma level).

And Bearskie isn't quite correct: There's normal magma behavior, pressurized magma behavior, pipe/volcano magma rain, and on top of that there's a bone closet's worth of reclaim bugginess, but there's no indication this topic concerns a reclaim.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 11:25:20 am »

To clarify, when magma pipes/volcanoes refill, a tile of magma is created several layers above the surface of the already-present magma, causing magma rain.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 12:55:17 pm »

To clarify bloop_bleep's clarification: DF attempts to create the magma at the top level of the volcano/pipe, and if there's empty space below that it will rain down to the magma below.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 12:26:33 pm »

We need screenshots to properly form a conclusion! Otherwise, my official diagnosis is gremlins in your PC. You should hunt for them inside with a screwdriver: their natural predator.