Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin sieges and modding them as Ambushers again. And Ravens.  (Read 748 times)

Tontomanzz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Goblin sieges and modding them as Ambushers again. And Ravens.
« on: September 13, 2017, 06:20:50 pm »

Hey, getting back into DF after years, and having some FUN with some aspects :).

I noticed the changes to when the Goblins siege, and hit this thread on looking around
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157302.0

So tried what is mentioned there, basically add back in the Ambushers tag to Goblins.  Was hoping that I'd get those small skirmishes as the big siege seems far further away, and it also allows me to test my traps etc before they HAVE to work heh.
It seems a simple edit, and I've done it before to Ravens for the flying bug. (remove the FLIER tag).
BTW is the WIKI totally wrong?  It still mentions Goblins and Ambushers?

But on the game I tried it, after a year I got the Nemesis Load Failed Error, which after looking around seems a hard to solve issue.

So can you put back in the Ambusher tag for Goblins?  Or was that advice out of date?  Was a 2016 thread, but didn't want to necro.  I tried placing it where other tags were (like Snatcher).  It's also in Global (not the save), should I have done save only?
---

And 2nd smaller question. Any way to remove Ravens?  I'm being swarmed by them in so many games it kills my meat/leather industry as nothing else to hunt.  Really frustrating as the game I mentioned that bugged out on the Nemesis error had glorious amounts of cool giant squirrel creatures I was looking forward to having FUN with :).  Then next game back to Ravens.

Thanks for any ideas.
Cheers, T.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin sieges and modding them as Ambushers again. And Ravens.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:19:46 pm »

No idea on Goblins, sadly, but I'd be curious to know. Need more Fun in my forts.

As for ravens. If you're using DFhack, you can use the region-pops command to reduce the population of ravens to 0. It should be "region-pops boost RAVEN 0" to multiple them by 0 and thus make them extinct. Using "exterminate ravens" will also kill all the ones on screen if your hunters are having trouble killing them.

You can also delete them from the raws, but in an already generated game, that might end up crashing it unless you destroy all raven related items first.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Tontomanzz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:31:27 pm »

Hmm, thanks for the info on DFhack and the Ravens. Haven't played around with it too much as just getting back into it and didn't want to mess something up royally :).

Yeah, I'm hoping even if someone doesn't know about the Nemesis error after the fact, they can confirm that it 'can' work.  As maybe it's just a coincidence that my game had that issue at that time.  When I have time, I'll play around with it editing it other ways (other games)... and if I can get it seemingly to work I'll post back here.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:51:57 am »

You can use my biomemanipulator DFHack script to add/remove flora and/or fauna to your future embark's biome(s), and this, of course means you can remove (giant) ravens, only to be haunted by the (giant) keas you didn't remove...

I've made one attempt at adding the ambusher tag to goblins, and it seemed I actually did get an ambush. I removed the tag again after being informed it wasn't removed by mistake.
The wiki is generally very good, but there are cases where it's incorrect and/or out of date. Saying it's totally wrong would be to make it a great injustice, though.

Tontomanzz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 06:24:06 am »

Hey.  Yeah the comment about the Wiki was only about that one fact, the Goblins being Ambushers and not the DF info in general.  I've found it to be really good.

Hmm, never occurred to me it was an accident (the Ambusher being removed).  I thought it was just a game dev choice which is a matter of preference.  After some research I found many folks wondering about Goblin action... as in the thread I linked.

But thanks for the confirmation it can work.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:05:35 pm by Tontomanzz »

Tontomanzz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:55:06 am »

Meh, I give up.  Tried a bunch of other starts, with goblins the closest neighbours even, but while I don't get the Nemesis error I also get nothing.
Last fort didn't even get Kobols.  Don't know if just bad luck, or I broke something that doesn't give an error but turns off all Nemesis.

Came back after seeing a letsplay that gave me the itch again, but can't do all the trap work without knowing if I'll ever get to use them heh.

Thanks for the info, can't recommend trying the change as didn't get it to work for me.
Later.