Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spawning more necromancer towers in World Gen  (Read 12559 times)

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spawning more necromancer towers in World Gen
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:22:09 am »

This could have gone here or in the modding forums, but this one moves quicker.

I've been poking around, and I'm trying to build a non-erroring world with plenty of volcanoes and necromancer towers. However, I'm not really sure how to increase the gen rate of necromancer towers. I seem to always get 3-6 (medium region). Will turning up the savagery help at all, or is it handled the same way civs are ?

Thanks in advance !

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spawning more necromancer towers in World Gen
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:46:10 am »

I think you jack up the number of secrets in the params.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:48:13 am »

Badass. Thanks a lot !

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:50:51 am »

can you lower the amount of zombies/servants necromancers need to construct their towers? That might help more necros to build their towers sooner. Now they occasionally camp in the wilderness with 49 zombies, since they need 50 for a tower.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:02:28 am »

Pretty sure that's hard-coded, but good idea !

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 04:11:34 am »

I also think it's hard-coded, but hey, can try eh?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 04:31:30 am »

So, I've spawned a couple worlds, unfortunately, this type of testing is slow.

It seems that maxing out the amount of secrets, then letting your world gen for a very very very long time does the trick. Just genned a medium world for 999 years and got 7 or 8 towers. A definite improvement over the 3 or 4 I normally get.

I'm about to do a medium world at 1499 years. Wish me luck !

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 04:34:41 am »

longer history should definately do the trick. After all it allows more necros to get there and those who're there to get enough zombies.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 09:23:35 am »

longer histories and more civs mean more rulers obsessing over immortality and becoming live-forever necromancers.

In my most recent worldgen, the Queen of a dwarf civilization abandoned her husband and her throne to become a necromancer.  She took the queen of another dwarven civ as her apprentice.  Her husband stayed behind, although 50 years later he became obsessed with immortality (he was not king), and began worshipping the same deity as his wife.  He never gained immortality, dying 2 years later of old age.  250 years later she's outlived several generations of children.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 10:41:38 am »

I seem to get more towers when I increase the number of desired evil spaces.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 01:38:20 pm »

I seem to get more towers when I increase the number of desired evil spaces.

More curses maybe?

Meh, just longer world gen should do

Owly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 02:12:35 pm »

I've found that I get lots of towers when I increase the number of civs and decrease megabeast numbers and world savagry. But that might have other problems.
!!Emergency Irrigation!!

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 05:42:31 pm »

How are curses/secrets passed down from the gods? Does it have anything to do with evil biomes? Is it a fixed number of occurances depending on world size or is it dependant on the number of sentients alive at the time? Is it capped by the number of civs?
Things I can think might help:
-more civs/sites (more sentient beings to become necromancers)
-longer history (more time for people to recive secrets. more corpses)
-larger world (possible cap depending on world size?)
-less megabeasts? (might kill necromancers, probably makes little differance)
-more evil biomes? (possibly related to curses?)

I would deffinatly like to know more on this. For !!SCIENCE!!

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 05:22:33 pm »

Undead post, sorry :p
To those that keep asking this kind of question, i have managed to pop a LOT of towers in early world.

I described my dwarven search here more deeply :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154533.105

But in short ->
The tricks is to permit some other races to have necromant. If not it does not permit a lot of apparition of Towers by the simple facts that if only human and dwarf make towers this lead to stick towers generation to "peacefull" world.
But if we want towers and undead, we do not really want peace, have we ? ^^

So we want to have more race to be necromant, and it is sticks to the gestion of secret. As far as i have understand the process, removing the MORTAL tag and making new secret with it doesn't do the trick (no elf necromant for example).

BUT, you can make some race mortal (just add [MAXAGE:XX:XX] to the creature that is immortal in vanilla. You absolutly can make them have VERY long lifetime if you want to keep praticly immortal goblins or elves for example).

But it does not do the tricks alone. In fact, by checking the legend mods i understood that there are necromant goblin created, but ONLY if others necromant (mostly humans) talk about their secret.
It make things difficult because it suppose that Goblins necromant and Human necromant can share common space, and in DF world it's rare. Together with the fact that necromant alone that try to reach others will be mostly killed in dangerous world, (mainly during the age of myth) make the generation of goblins necromant very hard with this setting alone, at least in dangerous ages like the age of myth.

At year 400 on several test, only 7 goblin necromant exist VS A LOT of goblins humans. Which give only few towers and one goblins towers... despite the fact that on these worlds there are in mean 95% of goblins :p

I dig a little and discovered that in fact a lot oh human necromant doesn't have themselves teaching necromancy by others but just discovered themselves by worshiping a deity.
And it make a "tilt" in my brain. I just check the "religion" of entity default and discovered that goblins is the only race with kobold to nopt have any religion (and yes, they do not even prey for their fun dominators :p )

So i just make that to the goblins, because he, they are evil no ?  :P :
   [RELIGION:PANTHEON]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:CHAOS]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:DEATH]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:METALS]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:DEFORMITY]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:DEPRAVITY]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:DISEASE]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:WAR]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:CAVERNS]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:DARKNESS]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:MURDER]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:TORTURE]

Annnnnnnd, it works ! ! ! A lot !
In every game i generate with this i have now plenty of Tower very soon, near year 300 without problem and it is way more linked to the number of secret that before !

Well, this is my perfect recipe for more towers ;)