Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 Questions: dfhack - cleanowned; gm-editor - souls and current soul  (Read 1614 times)

Shabdez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have an x(giant cave spider silk cloak)x owned by a dorf lying on the floor but "cleanowned x" does nothing. "cleanowned scattered x" would address this item, but also a ton of other euqipment without a worn indicator. Did I miss on something? Thought "cleanowned x" would handle all owned items that are worn (worn = bad condition, not a dorf is wearing it).

Can someone please explain the difference between "souls" and "current soul" in the status subsection as shown by gm-editor? Couldn´t find anything with google.

Thanks.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Questions: dfhack - cleanowned; gm-editor - souls and current soul
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 04:14:54 am »

Can someone please explain the difference between "souls" and "current soul" in the status subsection as shown by gm-editor? Couldn´t find anything with google.
current_soul is the soul being used to determine the unit's current non-physical stuff (mental attributes, skills, ethics, personality, beliefs, etc.). I believe souls is a table of all the souls attributed to the unit, you'll notice that current_soul and souls[0] both point to the exact same soul entry. Currently the game only ever creates units with 1 soul which stays linked to a body until the unit dies, though the system as it is could be used in the future (or now via DFhack modding) to do some interesting things such as split-personality creatures, or having bodies possessed by spirits. Now I think about it I wonder if multiple units could share the same soul as their current_soul? If so you could use that to make a hive-mind creature... *takes some notes for future mod projects*

Shabdez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 04:28:23 am »

OK, I added a skill with gm-editor (alt-i, then * in the skills menu of the gui) and set it to novice level. A litlle later I wonderd, why Dwarf Therapist and dfhack´s manage labors feature would both display this new skill as 0 = dabbling. Going back to the skill menu in gm-editor I found a second entry for that skill with level 0 being added to the list and obviously overriding the one I created earlier. I assume this was added the moment the skill was used by the dwarf for the first time. Why would the game ignore my added skill entry?

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 05:36:55 am »

OK, I added a skill with gm-editor (alt-i, then * in the skills menu of the gui) and set it to novice level. A litlle later I wonderd, why Dwarf Therapist and dfhack´s manage labors feature would both display this new skill as 0 = dabbling. Going back to the skill menu in gm-editor I found a second entry for that skill with level 0 being added to the list and obviously overriding the one I created earlier. I assume this was added the moment the skill was used by the dwarf for the first time. Why would the game ignore my added skill entry?
Yeah weird, it looks like using the gm-editor method is lacking something important, seemingly only changing how the skill level is displayed by the game. The game will use the correct skill level, as will gui/gm-unit when reporting their levels. If you're simply looking for a method to edit a unit's skill during play I'd recommend using gui/gm-unit, if you're trying to work out how to make a script to edit skills then try digging in to the code to see how gui/gm-unit does it, or check out modtools/skill-change (I've not used the latter but it looks like that's what it's for :P).