Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with FPS and still water in waterworks...  (Read 1361 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Problems with FPS and still water in waterworks...
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:09:55 am »

OK, I have a fairly extensive waterworks, including baths, multiple wells and several cisterns.

As expected, when the floodgates are open the FPS plummets, but once the canals, etc. reach 7/7 and the floodgates are closed, the FPS reverts to normal.

About 24FPS in my current megaproject, which is at pop caps...

...until I added one more cistern, 15Xx15Yx1Z, which immediately dropped the FPS to 4 while filling and then, once the floodgates were closed, dropped yet further to 1FPS where it's decided to sit.

WTF?  Is there some limit here?  I believe that even when non-flowing these water blocks need constant calcs due to the 'flow' tag, but I tried setting them to static with dfhack's liquids (I think?) cmd and that made no difference whatsoever.  (Apart from preventing the water from flowing when I opened the floodgates again, of course.)

AFAICT, this problem started the moment I opened the floodgates to the new cistern.  The existing waterworks are all full, locked down and
pretty much inactive apart from being there.  Nothing else changed in the fort at that time according to the logs.  No fights, no tantrums, traders, or whatever.

At 1 FPS, you can be pretty sure that little has changed since!

Ideas, anyone?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:13:09 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with FPS and still water in waterworks...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 05:21:26 am »

No moods, no invisible werebeasts failing to path, no pets behind a pet-impassable door?

Have you tried removing the water in cistern with liquids plugin to see if that fixes the issue? (Merely to confirm this is the issue.)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:50:22 am »

No, not that I'm aware of, no and yes.  :)

Dances with Kobolds

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:26:08 am »

Hm...What else could it be besides water internal flow...

15x15x1z area is kinda like a tavern, and 1x1 tavern causes 1 fps with multiple people trying to path into 1 tile. Has the cistern area ever been part of a location zone designation?

In fact, is it possible accessible to fliers at all? (Shouldn't matter, but eh.)

Have you tried deleting the water and filling it again? (Shouldn't do anything, but hey.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:34:51 pm »

It sounds like you've checked everything water related. The only other component of the system would be the floodgates and mechanisms thereof. Maybe remove/rebuild those?

Process of elimination and all that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:57:18 am »

Hmmm...  I did pave the cistern and all it's subsidiary channels, which were supposed to feed a waterfall into my Pit Of Doom, with roads.  I'm certain every road section had been completed, though.

It has grates and floodgates at every egress point except the maintenance access.  That has a series of forbidden/impassable doors... so it may have to do with units trying to path thru one of them.  I'm also certain that I had unforbid them all during my first attempts to suss it out but I've nothing to lose by trying again.

I'll try to drain the cistern by simply opening the waterfall-side floodgates.  As I haven't flooded the canals yet - I didn't try, once the prob reared it's ugly head - I'm calcu;lating 3/4 of the water will end up evaporating and the rest will end up on the bottom of what's meant to be the POD...  where I have my choice of methods to dispose of it  depending on whether the mysterious gremlin shows itself.

I guess that then it's a case of deconstruct/reconstruct, whilst keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

O Gremlin, Gremlin, Oh wherefore art thou Gremlin?
Dances with Kobolds

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 01:52:35 pm »

I can say in my complex waterways I use raising bridges rather than floodgates. Same functionality, less mechanisms, and impassible by pathing.

If it IS some kind of pathing calculation bug, maybe that will solve it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 04:13:35 am »

Apparently it was a duck paddling around in the moat.

AFAICT it had no pathing issues, with easy access to a ramp for egress and I was content for it to stay there as an early-goblin detection system.

By mistake, I had it butchered.  I didn't realise until I actually saw the butcher herd it off towards the Pet Induction Centre...  but before I could correct the mistake the FPS actually started to climb off 1 and settled at 18 once the duck was inducted to the Hall of Dining.

What worries me is that within real time minutes of this I was told that a possessed dwarf had completed his all-rock earring artifact... and maybe 2 minutes later that someone else had completed a *bone* artifact.  (Mind you, I know I had bones available.)

At no stage did I have any clue that the second dwarf had mooded.  It's almost as though two moods had happened simultaneously!

I'm not sure I trust the save now...

Dances with Kobolds

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 06:57:13 am »

Nice to hear you could get fps fixed, and that sure was weird cause - a duck, in a moat? How did the butcher even get them out...Well. Interesting nonetheless.

Idly speculating, a day takes 12 seconds at 100 FPS, or 67 at 18. Iirc, artifact construction takes 12 days or so from beginning of construction till end of it, so 2 minutes is definitely less than that.

However, you could just check your logs with 'a' to confirm the second was started after first ended.

Buckley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 02:17:06 pm »

Apparently it was a duck paddling around in the moat.

A duck my a^&.  It is known that if it floats on water like a duck it's actually a witch... which (see what I did there?) would also explain your FPS issue.  So, by deduction, your FPS issue was created by black magic.

https://youtu.be/zrzMhU_4m-g

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 04:52:05 pm »

You know, there just might be code to have ducks go for a swim occasionally.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.