Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to keep race from burning everything?  (Read 956 times)

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
How to keep race from burning everything?
« on: July 06, 2017, 03:59:59 pm »

A while ago I made a custom race that was supposed to live in magma. While I was trying to make them fireproof, I messed around with their body temperature and eventually made it so that their body temperature was so high that they left burning trails of destruction everywhere they went. And, while that is just about the most amazing thing that I've ever done while editing the RAWs, I also accidentally made their body temperature so high that the only metal that they could touch without instantly melting it was adamantine. Which means no starting tools for adventure mode or fortress mode. I tried to make it so that they could hold metal things AND burn all plant life around them at the same time, but nothing worked, so I set the race's body temperature back to the original ridiculous temperature and gave up. Could someone please help me with this? Here are the RAWs for the creature.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep race from burning everything?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 06:27:36 pm »

[FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] was all you needed for them to survive magma. The various other heat-related features are unnecessary. You need them to be good at swimming, since magma is a liquid. I'm not sure how to get them to be able to use metal gear, but I'd try making their temperature just below whatever the lowest melting point for common metals is.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:50:50 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 06:56:56 pm »

You've set their blood and pus to be liquid at reasonable temperatures, but not their sweat and tears.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 07:14:56 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I got them to stop melting metal objects, and I'll fix the sweat and tears soon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 01:51:50 pm »

Code: [Select]
[HOMEOTHERM:2013400]HOMEOTHERM defines the creature's natural body temperature, and that value (which is actually 47320, since HOMEOTHERM is an unsigned 16-bit integer, whose maximum legal value happens to be 60000) is far hotter than the temperature of magma (which is only 12000).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 03:20:13 am »

Haha, I had the opposite problem. I wanted to make an adv mode race that burns up everything around it. Turns out the tag is [HOMEOTHERM:60000].
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.