Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temperature and weather  (Read 649 times)

Thom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Temperature and weather
« on: February 01, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

We can disable those in the init because «This might speed the game up».

Well actually on my computer that makes a HUGE difference (more than double the speed at 100 dwarves).

It's not that slow with them enabled (i have a 3.2Ghz processor) and i easily get 100FPS up to a couple dozens of dwarves but then it starts to decrease, especially when traffic start to become heavy (pets are horrible for that).

So i wonder what those two options actually do?

I suppose weather controls rain and snowstorms (and then the unhappy thoughts about em). Anything else? Because only weather can take away up to 20FPS...

And temperature is even harder on the FPS count, and i don't know what it could do... I've heard of frostbites on the forum but never experienced em. I suppose it's because i never played freezing maps... Any other things related to temp?

Cause i disabled them both for a while, and it's great to get 100FPS most of the time...

edit: typos

[ February 01, 2007: Message edited by: Thom ]

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature and weather
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »

Weather, I believe, just adds rain and snow. Temperature adds fires, frostbite, burning, freezing and melting. Honestly, most effects occur very rarely unless you specifically are trying to make them happen, so if it makes your game run faster you can turn these effects off without much effect on your game.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 10:35:00 pm »

The temperature is most important for making lava and dragon/magma creature fire work correctly.  The weather doesn't do anything important right now.

Also, a "20 FPS change" is only meaningful in context.  A change from 1 FPS to 2 FPS is a larger gain than a change from 20 FPS to 40 FPS, on the same system.  I've found that storage checks in large forts caused the largest problems, and I've fixed that up a bit for the next release.  After that, temperature in a large fort is pretty bad, but there are some other things I can work on as well.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Thom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

OK thanks for answers  ;)

the 20 FPS i was losing is from approximately 70-80FPS:

For around 100 dwarves and not too many pets:
Temp + weather enabled: 55-60
only temp enabled: 70-80
both disabled: 99-100

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »

would it be possible to cause the weather to affect things like how fast food rots?(ie hot=rot is faster,while cold/freezing=food frozen,must be cooked, or sumtin)
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 08:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Manchild:
<STRONG>would it be possible to cause the weather to affect things like how fast food rots?(ie hot=rot is faster,while cold/freezing=food frozen,must be cooked, or sumtin)</STRONG>

Actually, those are temperature effects, not weather. Food already is damaged if it is too hot or too cold. Weather effects would be more like temporary streams after heavy rains, or roads getting burried during snow or sand storms...