Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Embarking near a tower?  (Read 3994 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking near a tower?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 04:31:09 am »

Necro's have a tendency for hubris, so they can declare war with every civ around and get decimated before they can siege you.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 10:08:05 am »

The greatest risk to dwarfs fighting hand-to-hand with common undead (animated by necromancer or biome) is that dwarfs suffer from exertion and pain and that undead do not.

Do not get too hung up on the value of silver maces verse steel axes. Neither will help if the undead is big. A water buffalo is about 16 times the size of a dwarf. If a necromancer's army kills your water buffalo and animates it, you have a problem that maces and axes will not solve.

Your dwarfs will engage and they will be doing well, swinging and chipping bones, bruising muscle, and denting things. They will be blocking shots with shields and dodging. Then they will start getting tired and the undead will score a hit, the dwarf falls over as something explodes in gore, that dwarf dies, and the other dwarfs are still just chipping bones, but they are starting to get tired. No matter what people say about maces and mangling, if the undead is large, it will kill dwarfs, because you can hit an undead water buffalo in the head with a mace and it just bruises it.

As of 43.xx this is not true, at least for well trained dwarfs. My team of steel lad silver macemen regularly take down undead forgotten beasts by mangling their heads. Size simply doesnt matter like it used to when it comes to bruising damage. In times gone by I would avoid mace men teams for dealing with the undead for this very reason but it's not such a concern anymore.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 01:17:29 pm »

In 43.05. What I am talking about is the importance of the size difference between the undead and the dwarf, and the relative unimportance of the type of weapon used against larger undead.

Sure, your macemen can hit it in the head enough to brain it, just as the axemen will cut off some limbs and eventually the head. But skilled or not, your dwarfs will not always hit it in the head immediately. And none of the other hits they make will cause pain to the undead or slow it down. And when that large undead hits a dwarf, that dwarf will receive, through his steel armor, some sort of blunt trauma or tearing of muscle and tendons like "The force twists the neck, tearing apart the fat and bruising the muscle and tearing apart the upper spine's nervous tissue!", if it doesn't just explode into gore.

With large undead, maces or axes is not as important as the dangers of 16 to 1 mass ratios.

Try this... lock up a draltha so it starves to death, get it animated, send in your mace squad against it.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 01:28:57 pm »

Yeah I definitely recommend a cage trap system.

Capture those necros and make em work for YOU.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 12:54:27 am »

Yeah I definitely recommend a cage trap system.

Capture those necros and make em work for YOU.

I've had an idea to use this. Keep the necro in a ring of windows and fortifications so they can't get injured. Make a chamber and keep throwing corpses into it to get revived.

Funnel the HFS into it. Sell ringside tickets.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:56:21 am by rridgway »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 04:03:38 am »

Getting necros to actually raise things isn't as straight forward as it ought to, in my experience. I've tried using captured gobbos to prompt necros to raise bodies, with only 10-20% chance of it working. Stationed militia has worked fairly well to get necros to work, though.
Pages: 1 [2]