Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tavern brawls  (Read 870 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tavern brawls
« on: May 29, 2017, 03:11:27 pm »

I made a tavern in my fortress, and I am beginning to suspect it wasn't the best idea...

Generally, there are around 2 or 3 citizens sent to the hospital every month, with injuries sustained from fighting in the tavern.

Sometimes with other citizens, sometimes with visitors. Occasionally from animals.

Anyone else get this happening to their citizens ?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern brawls
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:51:05 pm »

Generally, those who don't want it do, while those who do don't.
The lethal "non lethal" brawls as well as alcohol poisoning deaths are caused by the serving of alcohol in the tavern, which happens if the tavern is staffed with tavern keepers or performers (there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two: they serve about as much booze, and they perform about as much).
Thus, you'll get rid of those problems (if you're among those considering it to be a problem, which seems to be the case) by removing all personnel from the tavern. Visitors will still come (and often overstay their welcome) as long as the tavern is open to visitors even if there is no booze serving.
The effects you won't get from not serving booze are:
- Booze fueled bravery is negated, so your dorfs won't run around kicking the crap out of the local wildlife (as much).
- Visitite mining grinds to a halt. It's said goblins are particularly vulnerable to booze...
- Your local vampires won't drink booze (which they'll do if served), and thus will suffer from booze withdrawal slowdown.
- Getting the tavern floor painted in lovely colors of green and brown from vomit and spilled booze respectively (although dorfs tend to clean that up unless it's outdoors).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 10:24:51 pm »

And it just won't be as fun anymore. ;)

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 01:04:44 pm »

I personally wouldn't mind it as much if it were just scuffles with bruises, broken bones, and such. But when it's your legendary militiadwarves duking it out with the peasantry, it's a bloodbath without consequences. Has anybody had dwarfs get arrested for killing from this? I've yet to see it.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 03:11:26 pm »

Hmm...

there's now a pile of clothing belonging to one of my citizens, on the tavern floor. She's not in the military, so it can't have been caused by uniforms replacing clothing.

Thoughts say "she is currently more shameless". Well. Quite.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 04:05:39 pm »

Shamelessness is one result of over indulging in booze (and, like bravery, it wears off with the intoxication. Unlike humans, dorfs do not get any "I did WHAT?" regrets...). However, the most likely reason for the pile of clothes is that they're worn and nicer stuff has been claimed.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 12:41:49 am »

Shamelessness is one result of over indulging in booze (and, like bravery, it wears off with the intoxication. Unlike humans, dorfs do not get any "I did WHAT?" regrets...). However, the most likely reason for the pile of clothes is that they're worn and nicer stuff has been claimed.

Yeah, tracked her down, she has a full set of clothes again, but... the discarded stuff wasn't all worn,  most of it was x worn at the most, and some of it was decent quality, and her new stuff isn't radically different in quality.  :-\

curious, esp. as she discarded everything she was wearing in one neat pile on one tile.  :-\

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 01:30:39 am »

'x' is worn, and a cue to change to new clothes if available. One reason for a dorf to change everything at the same time is that everything gets worn at the same time (having been changed in one go earlier), and another one is that a complete set has just been produced when the dorf is free to look for new gear. It's actually not that uncommon that everything is dropped at the same time.
If she's got a room she'll haul the items there, one at a time, and store them in a cabinet if available, or on the floor if not.