Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Off Map Forest Fires?  (Read 888 times)

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Off Map Forest Fires?
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:19:30 am »

I had a forest fire start on my map.  Funny thing is there was no cause as far as I can see.  Luckily I had paved roads leading from my fort to each of the four sides of the map and a 5 wide paved surface around my fort walls.  Chopped down a quick fire break and only burnt maybe 1/4 of the map.  The question I have is: do fire come in from off-map?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Off Map Forest Fires?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:49:35 am »

As far as I know, you can't.
Some "normal" causes:
- Fire breathing creatures such as Titans.
- Fire breathing creatures such as FBs reaching the surface via a cave.
- Fire breathing creatures, such as Fire Imps reaching the surface via a volcano or a cave (after first reaching a connected cavern via a magma pool).
- Magma (from a volcano or via a dorf).
- Dorfs dumping "burning" artifacts onto something that then catches fire.
- Burning creatures setting things ablaze (such as creatures dumped into magma that then climb out again). Don't forget to lock the hatch if you're trying to do such dumping.
- Magma splash from a cave-in into a volcano setting something on fire (sort of covered above).

An unusual cause:
- Caravans bringing substances that ignite in the temperature of the embark (this has been reported).

Lightning isn't introduced yet, so that common real world cause can't be the one here.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 12:13:09 pm »

That's the problem.  I didn't see any of these.  Maybe the caravan one.  Also, I didn't know there was a fire until the trees stated to cave in.  I could have missed the cause if it quickly fled.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:31:58 pm »

The caravan cause should presumably have the wagon/hauler scuttle the stuff carried, and probably bring the rest of the caravan with it when fleeing. If things are scuttled, you ought to have a pile of stuff that's not yours somewhere on the map. This pile would show up as odd items on the inventory screen. Some items would probably be destroyed by fire, but some would probably survive.

You'd know if you had a volcano or cavern access, and Titans don't flee. If it was a Titan made of fire and it managed to get torn apart by a Kea, it should show up on the dead unit screen. However, you should be notified by the appearance of a Titan, so you can't really miss it.

Modding can, of course lead to a lot of weird things, but you didn't mention that, so I assume you haven't any fire salamanders, or such stuff.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:02:20 pm »

Did anyone's fat get too hot? I had a case where someone fat was burning off for... reasons, and then when they touched the caverns they lit everything on fire.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:25:40 pm »

Dwarf Fortress.. the only game that makes me consider, "Is the enviroment so Scorching that natural brush fires or spontaneous combustion might have occurred?".
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 05:49:50 pm »

If the magma level is open a little, it is possible to have a magma vermin set a kitten on fire. I've never seen them hit a feline itself (cats and kittens eat the vermin, so I tend to stable them down in the magma levels to keep the vermin down) but if they set something near a cat on fire, (such as the weaponsmiths second best pants, which he left abandoned on the ground near the forge) it's possible: !!XtrousersX!! -> !!kitten!!..... In my experience, !!kittens!! and !!cats!! immediately go up all the z-levels and climb a tree, leading to forest fires. Damn them.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!